Purchasing a ZR 1

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2005, 04:39 PM
Default Purchasing a ZR 1

I have had many Vettes but never a ZR 1. I was wondering if anyone can give me a heads up on what to look for when purchasing a ZR1. What years had any problems, cosmetic issues that have arouse, milage you should look for etc. Also a price guide line. Is kelly blue book a reliable price guide for the ZR1? Sometimes with specilaty cars they are a bit off. Thanks in advance for any help! Joe

Old 11-15-2005, 01:14 PM
Default RE: Purchasing a ZR 1

If it's any help, I just bought a 95 ZR-1 with 14K on it. It has a B&B exhaust and a K40 radar detector in it. Absolutely mint condition. I paid 33K for it with the stock exhaust included. The other guys on here can give you some better advice on common problems as I've only had the car a week. I can tell you this, it completely blows away the 92 LT1 I just sold. Huge power. Good luck.

Old 02-08-2006, 03:30 AM
Default RE: Purchasing a ZR 1

Hi Joe. I owned a 1990 ZR-1 for about 3 years (1999-2002). Bought it with 12,000 miles and sold it at right about 20,000 miles for $29K.

The issues pertaining to all C4's such as the Bose speaker amps going bad, etc. are minor. The main thing is that big beautiful LT5 under the hood. Make sure that the owner has kept maintenance records. Not all Mr. Goodwrench shops/mehcanics knew how to work on the LT5. There is a training video that GM put out that I used to have a copy of (I think I gave it to the fella that bought my '90) which is a MUST HAVE. The timing chain tensioner in the early ones had a tendancy to be loose, which will be noticable during engine startup for a few moments until oil pressure comes up to normal. There is a replacement part available. The dual-mass flywheel will rattle (more of a knock) at idle, but it's normal. Some owners have upgraded to a different brand flywheel and clutch to rid of the noise. More details can be found here.

http://www.zr1netregistry.com/ZR1_issues.htm

Learn all you can about the Beast. Check out http://www.zr1netregistry.com/ I haven't been on any ZR-1 related forums in a few years so I'm not sure where all the good info is anymore so do a search on GOOGLE or similar.

Good luck in your search! Hope to hear you found a nice one. Post pics when you do!

Chris