General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

84 still hot after changes made

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 11:36 AM
Default 84 still hot after changes made

all,

When my car is idling, it gets hot in the driveway,, and boils in the overflow tank.

The cooling fan does not come on..so I did the following

I changed out the thermostat. then I changed the relay for the fans, Fan still does not kick on even with AC on..

I did jumper the fan, and it runs as normal that way.., I need some more help.. What else can I do,, Shoudl I just go out and get a toggle and wire the fan to manual turn on?? I am confused and discouraged.. Please help

Old 07-14-2007, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 84 still hot after changes made

I hate to mention the obvious, did ya check out all your fuses?
I'm sure that cha did, just askin'.

Old 07-14-2007, 05:02 PM
cwb

ORIGINAL: 84blackice

all,

When my car is idling, it gets hot in the driveway,, and boils in the overflow tank.

I changed out the thermostat. then I changed the relay for the fans, Fan still does not kick on even with AC on..

I did jumper the fan, and it runs as normal that way.., I need some more help.. What else can I do,, Shoudl I just go out and get a toggle and wire the fan to manual turn on?? I am confused and discouraged.. Please help
copied from reply to another... (make sure the thermostat is right side up!)

Water pump, water flow, thermostat.

Here's your problem:
1) Your water pump is bad.
2) You have flow blockage.
3) The thermostat is bad (same as blockage).

Cold motor. Drain and recover your coolant. Put your garden hose in the coolant hose in one place. Disconnect the coolant hose in severalOTHER places, ONE AT A TIME, to check for flow. Observe also for'jam' of any sort.

YOU WILL NEED A FLOW SCHEMATIC FOR THIS, TO MAKE SURE IT'S COMING OUT WHERE IT SHOULD. A BLOCKAGE WILL MAKE IT COME OUT IN THE WRONG PLACE. I THINK HAYNES HAS IT.

Before puttin' back in your coolant, get the residual tap water out with a shop vac. You will afterward still have air in your system. If the TPI doesn't have a air bleed nipple, get on the highway, WITH HEAT ON!!! This should bring up the air. Check on a COLD motor.

If this fails, go to a radiator shop. They'll hit your pipes with a laser, and check for in-spec coolant temps to diagnose.

You don't have GM red coolant, do you?

Old 07-14-2007, 06:38 PM

Water pump is fine and no flow issues.. And no red coolant..

Shoudl I just run a toggle in the dash to the fans to turn them on manually?? Still need help

Old 07-14-2007, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator

Fuses?

Old 07-14-2007, 07:15 PM

Hi 84, you should have relay's in the fuse area or a seperate panel with cooling fan relay's, check and/or swap in other relay's and check all the wiring for the fans. You apparently found the problem 'cause you told us the temperature is fine when you jumpered the fan to run while the engine is running.

Old 07-14-2007, 09:01 PM
cwb

all,

Fan doesn't come on at all, unless jumped?

Toggle switch is a ghetto fix. You shouldn't do that.

Old 07-15-2007, 10:43 AM

I am lost guys,,

I thought the only relay was the fan relay under neath the master cylinder on front driver side...Again, if I jump the wires,,, the fan works..

Where else do I look , the fan will not turn on by itself with the AC on or when the vehicle gets to temperature.

Old 07-15-2007, 11:41 AM
cwb

I am lost guys,,

I thought the only relay was the fan relay under neath the master cylinder on front driver side...Again, if I jump the wires,,, the fan works..

Where else do I look , the fan will not turn on by itself with the AC on or when the vehicle gets to temperature.
Does it turn on by itself with the A/C off?

Old 07-15-2007, 05:37 PM

Fan does not turn on with Ac on or off.. Only time fan will run is if I ground it out at the Relay.. Should I change the temp sensor? I have one here from 6 cyl fiero,, is it the same? and where is the Temp switch go on the engine, I cannot locate it.. How many wires go to it

All help is very needed and thank all in advance

Quick Reply: 84 still hot after changes made