General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Adding a boost gauge

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 03:25 AM
Default Adding a boost gauge

I have a 2002 c5 that is supercharged, I was wondering how hard it is to add a boost gauge to the inside of the car (like to a pod) because I have no clue how much boost my car is running. I was also wondering if it would be easy to add an air fuel ratio gauge as well and if it is even worth it to add.

The two boost gauges I was looking at are http://speed-eng.com/store/product_i...roducts_id=511
or http://speed-eng.com/store/product_i...roducts_id=463

The second link says the gauge is electric and the first link says nothing about being electric. Also the second gauge is way cheaper I just can't figure out why.

All input is appreciated

Thanks!

Luke B

Old 08-14-2006, 01:34 PM
Default RE: Adding a boost gauge

Installing a boost/vaccum guage is pretty easy. Most (all I would consider) are mechanical and have a thing plastic tube that you run from a fitting you put on the manifold (you can tap it your manifold or find a place to put a T fitting on an existing fitting) most kits have instructions.

If you look on the gallery at my photos, you can see I put my boost guage in myself, in an unusual but very satsifactory place: I cut the driver's door AC vent out and mounted it in the op half of that (the lower half still serves as an AC vent and the vent, since I cut it out varefully, still twists to aim the air, etc., as when stock, it's just half size). This position puts it level with the instrument panel and it looks pretty good there and is easy to check. Advantage on this location is also that it is easy to route the hose, through the engine bay to the driver's side and under the fender edge into the door opening and across to the door. Simple.

Most guages also have a light and it is worth taking the time to hook that into the correct wiring so it works at night and dims. That took longer than connecting the guage itself.

https://www.corvetteforums.com/photo...Type=6&apage=1

You might wonder about the other three gauges I installed (in the console where the ashtray was). They are: pyrometer (exhaust gas temperature -- always a good idea on a car with aftermarket tuning particularly if it is really tuned "hard" for the best possible almost-lean F/A ratio -- you can make certain nothing is going wrong), and two intake air temperature gauges, a single channel meter right ahead of the throttle body to monitor intake air temp at all times, and a two channel one (you can switch it from one position to the other) that has sensors immediately downstream (pressure side) of theSCr and then downstream of the intercoolers. I had all three professionally installed as there was some drilling and tapping involved and a lot of wiring to run, etc.

Old 08-15-2006, 03:10 AM
Default RE: Adding a boost gauge

Wow! helpful as usual Lee thanks!!!!