General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

C3starship

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 10:11 AM
Default C3starship

Hi starship, I talked to a support tech at MSD, told him what I wanted as far as an ignition, they were working on a stand alone DIS but said there isn't enough market for it so they dropped it. If your running EFI then they can supply you with a distributorless system, I'm going to stay with carbuerator, they don't have anything to get away from running a distributor. I also called Accel/Mallory, no set-up for DIS but we can run a crank trigger and an adjustable electronic spark control box by gutting the module and advance out of the HEI, the distributor then would only be handling the spark distribution. I havn't decided what setup I'll be going with since the engine build is still six to twelve months away, let me know what fuel and spark your planning on.

Old 03-13-2007, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: C3starship

Thanks for the info!
I don't have EFI, just straight up carb, an ol' Carter AFB. Seriously concidering runnin' dual AFBs. That means a hole in the hood and maybe a carb mounted scoop.
I'm kinda partial to using Mallory for the dist.
The "Starship" is set up with '60s electronics, no moduals or 'puter stuff. I like to do my own tuning, that's half the fun. I don't want to rely on diagnostics from a shop.
I will be tuning for elevation depending on where my ventures take me.
I'll just carry a couple of scew drivers and a few wrenches for those "on the road" quick tunes.

Old 03-13-2007, 11:18 AM

I agree with you on not relying on computer diagnostics, I tend to stay away from the high-tech world 'cause I don't have the equiptment to diagnose or tune it. I'll probably stay with the HEI distributor and use upgrade guts in it. I'm quite comfortable with Q-Jet carbs and GM put alot of money and time in the developement of it and ran it for 20 years, I can do everything I want with this setup. With a little stroker motor, warmed up internals and a few other minor modifications I can have a very reliable strong engine that I can do all of the work on myself, in my world thats what I call self reliance and efficiancy.

Old 03-14-2007, 01:30 AM
Super Moderator

Ya gots ta haveda feelin', for tunein' your own. I feel for the guys that are "Stuck" with the 'puter stuff. [&o]
Sure, a lot of advancement has been made, but.......a tweek here and a tweek there and "Grrrrrowelll !"