Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Concern

Old 06-23-2011, 07:05 PM
Default Concern

I just purchased a 1979 corvette; it drives nice looks great and has been safetied by the dealership. I have noticed no leaks but when it's parked in the garage the garage fills up with an overwhelming smell of gas. It's so strong that as soon as you open the door from the house to the garage it over takes you. Should I be concerned? Is there a possibility of an engine fire occurring while it's in the garage.

Last edited by rasoticat; 06-23-2011 at 07:07 PM.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

I would park outside until I found the cause of the vapors. No need to burn down your garage.
It may be an impropper gas cap seal, return line leak (you may need to drop the fuel tank to inspect the lines going from and to the tank), or carb gasket(s) leaking. You may be able to get your hand up where the fuel lines come out of the tank, if so, feel for any wetness.
Make a detailed inspection of your fuel system.
Don't ignore this issue it could get very serious.

Last edited by C3 Starship; 06-24-2011 at 12:03 PM.