General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

crazy with this

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 07:01 PM
Default crazy with this

i turn the key and shes dead . ileft the key on and jumped it off the selinoid and she fired up . i let her run for a bit and turned the key off and she shut rite off . just before i let it go off i turned the key back on and she fired rite back up. so it will not turn the starter over but the switch works to shut her off any ideas what it might be?

Old 06-21-2007, 07:45 PM
Default RE: crazy with this

The problem may be in the ignition switch but there are easier things to check that are more likely the problem. You already know the starter motor and starter solenoid are working, also the HEI distributor sounds like it's OK. The trouble your describing is the solenoid is not getting 12 volts when you turn the key to crank. Near the solenoid inline with the small red wires are fuseable links, these look like a rubber bulge in the wire a few inches from the solenoid, if these links are melted internally you won't get voltage through that wire. Use a 12 volt test light or volt meter or ohm meter to test each wire, these wires are the feeds for the entire electrical system other than the heavy battery cable that is needed for the high current draw of the starter. If you check these smaller wires and fuseable links and find that you are getting voltage through them then move on to the ignition switch.

Old 06-22-2007, 05:38 PM
cwb

ORIGINAL: 78buckshot

You already know the... and starter solenoid are working,
This is not necessarily so.

If he is jumping the solenoid - that is, from the solenoid input terminal, to the solenoid output terminal, that does not mean the solenoid is working. It does mean the solenoid probably is NOT working...

Old 06-23-2007, 05:42 AM

How 'bout it 75vette, have you had time to check out the no crank problem? cwb makes a good point, how did you jump the solenoid to get it to crank, did you jump between the two large terminals to make the starter motor spin or did you jump from the small start terminal to the battery cable terminal? this would allow the solenoid to pull the starter motor in, let us know more detail so we can help you figure it out.

Old 06-23-2007, 04:25 PM
cwb

ORIGINAL: 78buckshot

How 'bout it 75vette, have you had time to check out the no crank problem? cwb makes a good point, how did you jump the solenoid to get it to crank, did you jump between the two large terminals to make the starter motor spin or did you jump from the small start terminal to the battery cable terminal? this would allow the solenoid to pull the starter motor in, let us know more detail so we can help you figure it out.
THIS is exactly correct '75...

If he understands it there buckshot, then we can solve this one. But he left us completely hangin' on the other post too[sm=boosign.gif], which I think was a related problem...

Old 06-23-2007, 06:07 PM

Well cwb, looks like he's finding help elseware or so busy workin' on it that he can't find time to chat, we coulda' had it running in no time, see ya latter.

Old 06-24-2007, 05:16 PM

hi i went away for the weekend with the family but im back now . i jumped the selonoid from the large and small ternimal.turned right over.

Old 06-24-2007, 05:31 PM

OK, now we got somthin' to work with. So we know the starter and solenoid are good, follow the small wires up the harness to each connection and check for voltage when you turn the key to Start.

Old 07-06-2007, 06:54 PM

hi i have a 350 30 over 4 bolt mainin my vette it was redone .it has trw 11.00compression high dome pistons ,67 heads ported and polished roller rockers ,steel crank ,edelbrock rpm intake,edelbrock 600 performer carb,and competition cam 507 lift 292 duration . she runs awsome but the you can see the exaust fumes coming out of the pipes. it smeels rich.i am running the stock plugs in it .if i rev it you can see the smoke and it smeels like gas.do i need a hoter spark plug? if so can you give me an idea ?what to do? this thig is all power and hasnt been on the road yet thanks john.

Old 07-06-2007, 06:59 PM
Default motor ?

hi i have a 350 30 over 4 bolt mainin my vette it was redone .it has trw 11.00compression high dome pistons ,67 heads ported and polished roller rockers ,steel crank ,edelbrock rpm intake,edelbrock 600 performer carb,and competition cam 507 lift 292 duration . she runs awsome but the you can see the exaust fumes coming out of the pipes. it smeels rich.i am running the stock plugs in it .if i rev it you can see the smoke and it smeels like gas.do i need a hoter spark plug? if so can you give me an idea ?what to do? this thig is all power and hasnt been on the road yet thanks john.

Quick Reply: crazy with this