General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Had my vette tuned - now there's a rattle.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 09:14 PM
Default Had my vette tuned - now there's a rattle.

Hi Everyone,
I had my vette tuned yesterday and now there is a new rattle. Seems to be intermittent, but definitely there. Any ideas what this might be?I go tomorrow to have them fix it, but any input will be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance.
RJ

Old 07-25-2007, 09:30 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Had my vette tuned - now there's a rattle.

Hey there Rita,
I don't know if your Vette has one, a butterfly in the exhaust. Supposed to help engine warm up by restricting the exhaust flow at idle. It is spring loaded, and when the spring goes bad, breaks, or is disconnected,the butterfly will rattle. Just my thought, but sounds awful suspicious to me, since ya just had a tune.

Old 07-25-2007, 10:04 PM
Super Moderator

Hey RJ, Can you tell what area it is comeing from? Hopefully they can find it and fix it when you "take it in". Cheers

Old 07-25-2007, 10:45 PM

Hi, Dave! Hi, George!
Good to hear from you guys. You know, Dave, what you describe sounds like it could be it. And George, the sound is coming from the under the hood on the right side (my right.) I will be sure to mention the butterfly in the exhaust as a starting place for them. Wish me luck. Except for this rattle, I sure like how my car feels since the tune.

My best to you and yours.
Take care. Stay safe.
Rita

Old 07-25-2007, 10:56 PM
Super Moderator

RJ, If not the flap Dave mentioned pehaps it could be one of the heatshields is loose, when loose they tend to rattle at certain RPM's, which would make it intermittent. Did they do a complete tune including plugs and all? or just the brain box tune?

Blessings to you as well. Cheers

Old 07-26-2007, 10:53 AM

Hi, George,
They just tweaked some numbers. I know they had the hood up, so maybe they have a good idea what it is already. Can't go until tomorrow, but appreciate your input.

How's Cody and his sister? Bet they keep you and the Mrs on your toes.
Thanks again.
Rita

Old 07-26-2007, 10:12 PM
Super Moderator

Hey Rita, Hope they get it fixed for you. The Codester is as honoree as ever and still chasing the dang cats. Holly has a nice new home right in the living room. She's as happy as she can be. I'll post some more pictures when I get a chance. Hows the pups?

Let us know what your rattle is when you figure it out. I'm curious now.....I know , I know...Curious George?.....monkey's?.....yuk!yuk!.... LOL.

God Bless.

Old 07-26-2007, 10:26 PM
Super Moderator

"Let us know what your rattle is when you figure it out. I curious now.....I know , I know...Curious George?.....monkey's?.....yuk!yuk!.... LOL."

[sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=happybounce.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif]

Ya caught me totally off guard Bro, totally off guard. [sm=icon_rofl.gif]

Old 07-26-2007, 10:58 PM

Luv the humor

Outstanding[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 07-27-2007, 04:51 PM

ORIGINAL: C3 Starship

"Let us know what your rattle is when you figure it out. I curious now.....I know , I know...Curious George?.....monkey's?.....yuk!yuk!.... LOL."

[sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=happybounce.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif]

Ya caught me totally off guard Bro, totally off guard. [sm=icon_rofl.gif]
Same here! Just wasn't making the monkey connection, but that is funny. George, Please be sure and post the pictures when time permts. : )

Thanks for asking about my dog. Over the past few days, mypoor dog has developed cataracts from the sugar diabetes. We have surgery scheduled for next Thursday and have put this in the Lord's hands. She is a very smart and sensitive dog and although some dogs adjust to being blind, she is frightened and very agitated. I am staying very close to her and that seems to comfort her and me, too.

Re: the rattle
Today, I went back to The CorvetteShop and of course - no rattle. It seems to stop once the engine is hot.Larry looked under the hood and said everything looked fine. Said they only programmed and didn't do anything under the hood except lift it to help keep the engine cool. He showed me a moving part and said the rattle could come from the vibration, but it was normal. We agreed when I leave my car overnight for some work, he would be able to check out the rattle when the engine was cold. Dave01 had recommended this shop and I agree,it is ahonest shop that does good work.

Take care. Stay safe.
Rita

Quick Reply: Had my vette tuned - now there's a rattle.