General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Horn not working? Has power!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 08:09 AM
Default Horn not working? Has power!

Hi. The horns on my 79 just quit working? tested contact area in steering wheel w/ trouble light & it shows power? Any ideas? I'm not a mechanic by any means, so any help or suggestions would be appreciated!!!

Old 07-16-2007, 08:14 AM
Default RE: Horn not working? Has power!

If it is the same as my 81... There is a horn relay about 4 inches or so "up" from the fuse panel. If it was an "all of a sudden" failure", this is the most likely candidate. When you make contact in the horn button, you should at least hear the click coming from the fuse panel area.

bill.

Old 07-16-2007, 09:09 AM

It is the same as 1981, I have a 79 as well and mine done the same thing more than likely this is your problem. Should be a little bleck relay with 3 terminals that plug into a socket in the harness.
Hope this helps

Old 07-16-2007, 09:38 AM

checkall your fuses before you replace the relay. dont just check the horn fuse (hazard fuse i believe) check them all.

Old 07-16-2007, 12:21 PM
cwb

ORIGINAL: bernie3

Hi. The horns on my 79 just quit working? tested contact area in steering wheel w/ trouble light & it shows power? Any ideas? I'm not a mechanic by any means, so any help or suggestions would be appreciated!!!
If you got power at the horn button, did you jump it with a piece of wire, to see if the hornbutton is what's failing to make the contact?

EDIT: Oops! Never mind wire! There's a lotta' juice there. Use needlenose pliers.

Old 07-17-2007, 09:45 AM

also check out your horns i believe if one horn is bad it can affect the other horn. just a thought but easy enough to check before you go replacing things.

Old 07-17-2007, 10:16 AM
cwb

ORIGINAL: Phill

also check out your horns i believe if one horn is bad it can affect the other horn. just a thought but easy enough to check before you go replacing things.
That might or might not be so phil...

My '87 had the wimpiest horn.One time, I honked at a kid on his tricycle. He didn't look, but he did show me one of his fingers, for his IQ, or # of friends he had, or somethin' like that - ya know. Then he saw it was a car.

I found out later the low horn wasn't working. The high one did, but I wouldn't call what it did 'work'!

Old 07-17-2007, 10:31 AM

Hi. Thanks for the feedback. No clicking sound from the fuse box. Have checked all fuses & they are ok! Getting a new relay today & going to try that. I'm willing to bet that's the problem? If not, i'll try new horns? Thanks again, Bernie

Old 07-17-2007, 10:35 AM

Thanks to all you guys for the feedback on the 79 horn problem?????????? Trying a new relay after i get out of work? I'll let you guys know!!!!! Thanks, Bernie

Old 07-17-2007, 12:08 PM
cwb

Sounds like you're goin' for the ol' fully automatic assault wallet approach[sm=shootshoot.gif][sm=violent053.gif]

You got power at the horn button. Did you try to jump the connection there? What happened?

Have you tried to jump the horn directly?

Quick Reply: Horn not working? Has power!