General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

loss of power

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 08:22 PM
Default loss of power

I own a 1992 corvette It runs fantastic till it gets to temp 180 degrees then it acts like it runs out of gas when you full throttle it. I have changed all the sensors, fuel pump, distributor cap etc. It still has this problem any ideas?

Old 10-28-2006, 06:57 PM
Default RE: loss of power

Umm, I have never heard of that. How low is your gas tank? Any service light**check engine light**? have your tried your codes yet? If so what are they? If you dont know how take a paper clip, bend it in a U pop it in the first hole on ur diagnostic connector on the left and the other one which is the last one on the other side(TOP ONLY). It will flash code 12 3 times, then it will show your codes, then flash code 12 3 more times. Also to do this you must turn your key to on BUT DO NOT start the motor. Good luck. Also your cats could be plugged. Do they glow orange when you go to shut off your car after some driving?

Old 10-28-2006, 08:53 PM

I haved tried the engine codes there are no codes the fuel tank was full

Old 10-29-2006, 07:02 PM

Run some redline with premium gas through your system. Pour it in there when the tank is almost empty and then fill it up. If its the injectors thats the best stuff on the market. Replace the fuel filter, could be clogged. Spray some carb cleaner in the Butterflys and scrub it inside withh a toothbrush. That might also be an issue. Watch the dirt just pour out. Check your air filter. Also your maf could be bad. Did you check your timiing yet? Bad spark plugs and wires? Rev it up in park and wait for the temp to go up. Does it still act up? Your fuel or air must be blocked somewhere. What about your transmission. Is it shifting properly? Have you changed the fluid gasket and filter in it? Is it like its revving and not going? or choking out? Is your acceration slow? A cracked head could cause that. What about your exaust? If you can remove it, try that. Knock on your catalytic converters, do they rattle or sound loose? Is your temperature normal? Do you have enough oil it in? When was the last time it was changed? New coil? It's hard to try to help you as im not there. Ill keep searching and try to think of ways to see.

Old 10-30-2006, 04:55 AM

wow Blk86vette, sounds like it could be anything, Im atually changing everything you mentioned in my baby, lots of work, but it will be nice in the end

[IMG]local://upfiles/3562/95DE6129790D4CD583B8DA8A5FF98B39.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-30-2006, 07:46 PM

I have already tried eveything you sugessted. I even put a test pipe on the car all it did was creat a code in the computer 02 sensor. the plugs and wires cap etc have been changed to new ones it still has the problem when it warms up. it acts like it runs out of gas as long as i stay under 3500 rpm when ot gets to temp its fine. mind boggling isn't it

Old 10-30-2006, 08:14 PM

I love a good challenge. Im not going to be outsmarted by a piece of string on wheels. Hmm. Ill think about it tonight. It sounds like "morning sickness" on a powersteering pump. When its cold it acts up, once it warms up, its fine. What about your fuel pump. Maybe that has morning sickness. Apparently your car is being restricted on gas somewhere. Bad injector? Fuel pump? Fuel lines?

Old 10-31-2006, 08:37 AM

I've checked the fuel presure it maintains a good solid 42 lbs. I just installed a new fuel pump. thinking that was the problem.
Its just something i'm over looking. but its driving me crazy

Old 11-05-2006, 10:18 PM

Well guys thanks for attempting to help me. I've done about everything possible to get this car to run its potential. If you can think of anything else it would be much appreciated. Thanks again

Old 11-06-2006, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator

Have you changed ignition coil? Sounds like a couple I have had in the past, when the coil gets hot it starts breaking down under load.[8D]

Quick Reply: loss of power