General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

My vette is back - well most of it

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 08:04 PM
Default My vette is back - well most of it

Carolina Auto Masters delivered my 'vette today after about 11 weeks. All sorts of complications delayed things, but it drives like a dream -- the tuning is perfect. I took the mechanic who drove it over the their shop back to his house and drove home in heavy traffic -- drove like stock.
Only the Procharger didn't make it back. It bent its tensioner-idler pulley bracket pretty badly at only about 8 lbs of boost, and it will be four weeks until I can get an A&A improved bracket. I'm not to happy about this, particularly when I hear this is a long-time and well know problem (why don't they fix it?). Anyway, in the interim, I am driving the car N.A.. The shop left the intercoolers in place and just plugged them, then ran a simply pipe and stock air clear to the engine for now. Hardly optimum but it dynoed right at 500 RWHP with gobs of low end torque, so its not too shabby to drive in the mean time.

Old 09-06-2006, 08:41 PM
Default RE: My vette is back - well most of it

sound nice, lee why dont you find out who does CNC work and have a bracket made so it won"t break,just a sugeestion

Old 09-06-2006, 09:48 PM

Wow, dude, I am speechless here... both on the fact your bracket is broken after only one cruise, and trying to imagine what it must be like to drive your beast. Man, you're going to be some impressed when it's fixed up right, there, Lee. Your car is sheer madness.

Old 09-06-2006, 09:54 PM

The bracket the broke was over 1 cm thick solid metal. Part of the problem is the bearing foundations for the tensioner and idler pulleys: the thing wraps around the pulleys and the main SCr pulley, too. Rather than try to engineer one and have it built myself, I am told if I wait four weeks (I figure five or more) I will get a new one designed and tested with extra large tensioners and heavy duty everything. My shop seems to know what they are doing, so I am confident they are not steering me wrong.

What I really would like to do is throw the whole Procharger away and get a Kenny Bell roots blower, but I really can't justify the $10,000, and while I could probably sell the Procharger to cover a third or more of that, I won't because it is flawed and I am not going to pass on my problems to some other poor bloke.

So I will wait for my extra 200 horses.

Old 09-07-2006, 12:22 AM

TRUE TRUE...YOU CANT BEAT A ROOTS BLOWER.HELL YOU NEVER KNOW IN THREE MORE YEARS YOU MITE BEABLE TO GET ONE A LOT CHEAPER.LET ME NO HOW THAT BRACKET LOOKS WHEN YOU GET IT.

Old 09-07-2006, 02:22 PM

Wow, Lee, you sure are in the deep end of the pool there. $10k on a roots blower... man alive, that's some serious coin, bro. Sounds like your guys know what's what, and I am sure optimistic you'll be rollin' in style in no time flat.. just a few more weeks, my friend. Best of luck, and do keep us posted!!

Any chance you could make a short video of your car for us, later? I'd LOOOOVE to see it in action! [8D]

Old 09-07-2006, 07:41 PM

I think we would all like to see that video

Old 09-07-2006, 07:45 PM

Let me get the SC on it first, and then --believe it or not -- I have to find a video camera. My son probably owns one -- he has every gadget.

Old 09-07-2006, 07:58 PM

Of course you can't own a camcorder, not with all that $$$ into your Vette

Old 09-08-2006, 11:48 AM

I was thinking the same thing about wanting to see a video of the car.

Quick Reply: My vette is back - well most of it