General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Performance Chip

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 05:06 PM
Default Performance Chip

Am considering installing a chip in my 92. The local Corvette guru has told me that I would be wasting my money. Has anyone had any experience with a chip? Thanks!

Old 02-02-2006, 01:18 PM
Default RE: Performance Chip

I haven't had experience with a chip but I want to install one too. I can tell you what my GM mechanic told me. He said that you may not get much in the horsepower catagory but if you buy the right chip, that little bit of adjustment in the ignition curve that the chip makes will ad a little hp and torque. The other thing is that some chips change the shift point in autos. Don't know if you have an auto but I do and I think it shifts too early. For instance, it goes into overdrive at a lower speed/rpm than it should in myy opinion. My feeling on this early shifting is that this was an attempt by GM to conserve fuel. Some chips will make it shift at a higher rpm so you can stay in the power band. Mind you, this is all info that I got from my mechanic. This is not personal experience. I am doing research on chips right now and when I find out which is the most benificial, I will let you know.

Old 02-03-2006, 03:33 PM

Thanks for the info. FYI, I have an auto also and one of the problems with the quick shifting seems to be the ratio of the rearend. I had my VIN checked and also talked with the local Vette expert and most C4 automatics have the 2.59 rear gear! Of course, this does nothing for low-end performance. I will respond to you with more info as I get it.

Old 02-06-2006, 01:39 AM

Here's what I know. A chip install is best done in conjunction with a dyno session that establishes program parameters. Dynos give a good starting point for your original engine settings such as air/fuel, timing, spark, etc and should further outline your engine's potential. A chip without a dyno session may be too generic and may not take advantage of your vehicles capabilities. I recommend that instead of getting a chip, get a dyno session and a programmer. Programmers are more flexible and allow you to make lots of adjustments. Lastly, stay away from JET chips.

Old 02-06-2006, 08:24 PM

Actually I don't want to be too hard on JET Chips. I just don't think they are the best bang for the buck.

Old 02-06-2006, 11:02 PM

if you guys are looking around i have a 93 40th annv. auto. It would be great if you could give me a link or a starting price for one of these.

Old 02-07-2006, 12:30 AM

What about a chip in a 82?

Old 02-08-2006, 02:15 AM

According to all I've come across so far ,chips in 82 and 84 models are a waste of time unless you have major mods. i've got an 84 and i've been doing a lot of research before i start modding the engine. An 82 has 2:7? and 2:8? gears in the rear. 84's came w/3:07'sand 410 or so had the optional 3:31's. After that many C4 autos had 2:59's thru the late 80's. 1:6 to 1 roller rockers, and K&N and some gears, 3:23 or 3:42 for an 82, and a free flowing exhaust would help a lot w/out killing drivability.

Old 02-20-2006, 02:27 PM

Ok, I have done some research on various chips. The common theme on them all is that they say that the performance gains become evident only at full throttle. I won't be getting a chip because i don't drive my car at full throttle most of the time, if ever. I just don't think it's worth spending the money if all I will see is advantages at full throttle. maybe I haven't done enough research but as of now, this is what I have found.

Old 02-20-2006, 11:49 PM

Performance increace ? most likely not .. But 82, 84 and any other OBDI automatic trans vettes out there , the chips claim earlyer shift points ,and prevent to early TQ conv lock up that may benifet for using colder t-stat's..

Quick Reply: Performance Chip