General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Port and Polish

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 08:44 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Port and Polish

I have a 3.07:1 right now. I haven't looked into the the ratio optons yet. If I swapped the 4sp for the 3sp w/OD I think all I'd be looking at is maybe changin' the drive shaft lenghth. Ya think? I didn't mean to change topic on this post, but ya got me thinkin' now. I really don't know the gear options available for the rear.

Old 09-17-2006, 09:07 PM

I was thinking the same thing: almost certain you would need to change driveshaft length and that could get tricky if you can't find one that is the right length -- and I have a feeling this might be one of those times -- and have to have a custom one made.

Old 09-17-2006, 09:29 PM
Super Moderator

There just so happens to be a goood driveline shop here in Reno. They did my rear axles for me, beefier ones to handle more horses. They don't rape me for labor. Fair price for a good product. I'd like to get my rpms around/under 3000 for 75 mph. Any info on rear ratios? The 3:07's is the tallest I found without going to one from an automatic. I know I need to take into concideration tire size.

Old 09-18-2006, 02:35 AM

BACK WHEN I WAS 18 I HAD A NOVA I THINK IT WAS A 1978 3 ON THE TREE.. THAT WAS A HELL OF A SLUSH BOX ,THAT THING WAS FUN.. I LET MY WIFE TRY IT WELL MY GIRL FRIEND BACK THEN AND SHE SMOKED THE CLUCH RIGHT OUT OF IT,,,,,NEED LESS TO SAY I NEVER LET HERE DRIVE STICK AGAIN

Old 09-18-2006, 03:34 AM
Super Moderator

Well, what I have is a 3sp w/OD GEAR BOX, no slush. I call any auto-magic a slush box.

Old 09-18-2006, 02:30 PM

my nova was a gear box,, cluch pressure plate the whole nine yards it was a saginof gear box.... the stick shift was on the stering collom..they call it three on the tree..by no means is a aoutomatic a slush box ..all my drag cars are automatic... but the stick in my nova was a piece of sh*T !

Old 09-18-2006, 02:33 PM

ORIGINAL: chargedvette02

To anyone that would know most likely Lee. Would it be worth it for me to do port and polish on my car with all the mods I have already? Also would anyone know what something like that would cost 4 - 5 k?

Thanks!

Luke B
here the doit your self kit link

http://eastwood.resultspage.com/sear...&submit=Search

Old 09-19-2006, 07:58 AM

The more I think about your 3-spd and OD, Starship, the more I like the idea of putting that in your 'vette. It would really be something different, and very cool.

I realize it is not a stock type of thing to do to your car, but then, neither is a 400 HP 454 torque-monster of an engine, either. I recall the cachet that O.D. cars had when I was young - everyone understood that they were not quarter-milers, like the 4-spd cars, but they could cruise at high speed with low revs and you imagined them flashing across west Texas (I lived in Texas then) at 100+ mph with the engine barely turning, leaving eerything in their wake. And they could.

Old 09-19-2006, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Lee Willis

The more I think about your 3-spd and OD, Starship, the more I like the idea of putting that in your 'vette. It would really be something different, and very cool.

I realize it is not a stock type of thing to do to your car, but then, neither is a 400 HP 454 torque-monster of an engine, either. I recall the cachet that O.D. cars had when I was young - everyone understood that they were not quarter-milers, like the 4-spd cars, but they could cruise at high speed with low revs and you imagined them flashing across west Texas (I lived in Texas then) at 100+ mph with the engine barely turning, leaving eerything in their wake. And they could.
As you may have noticed, from my other posts, I'm not concerned about keeping my Vette Stock. With the upgraded suspension, a 454, and the planed ground effects, I'm going for a unique performance cruiser that will also raise some eyebrows. You might say a, "Catch me if you can", all around mountain and plains performance machine.
My parents had a new '60, 4 dr. Ford "Failane" with a 352, 4 brl, and 3sp w/OD. It wasn't particularly quick but, give that suka some room, put 'er into overdrive, and she would lay down on the road and flat move! We dubbed 'er "The Green Dragon"!
You may have tipped the scales for me, that 3 sp. w/OD looks better all the time.
Thanks for your input!

Old 09-19-2006, 01:25 PM

I think that's a great idea, too. The perfect way to achieve a real good balance with your car, bro. And not to mention, with that 454 in there, she's gonna pull like a skeered rabbit anyways. I really do love the O/D in our car.... it smoooooothly shifts into O/D on the highway and it feels like it can accelerate forever with LOT'S of pull. I can't even imagine that feeling sittin' behind a wicked 454... dude, you're buildin' the bomb there. [8D]

Quick Reply: Port and Polish