General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Side pipes

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 02:24 PM
Default Side pipes

Hello to all,
I have recently started collecting classic cars, not sure how great an idea that was but here I am. One of them is a 1974 Vette, small block, and rotten exhaust. I have been trying to locate a exhaust system from header to side pipes as close to factory as possible and totally bolt on. I know this is not going to be cheap but I really need to replace the old exhaust and I always loved side pipes on a Vette.
The headers on the car are I believe factory but are rusting in color, they extend too far to the rear to be able to connect a side pipe to without major reconstruction.The rest of the engine is show dressed, so I would like to bring this car up to show quality again, using a powered coated header or a material that will not blue or rust, and chrome side mounted exhaust.
Is there anyone out there that has gone through this or maybe has a solution to my problem.
Thank You all in advance,
Wayne
74 Vette

Old 10-17-2006, 02:59 PM
pg
Default RE: Side pipes

Hi 74vette, welcome to the websight. The headers on your car now are aftermarket, GM put cast iron exhaust on at the factory.
As far as replacement headers corvette central has a ceramic coated set for the small block and they sell the side exhaust package, I think the side exhaust is a bolt on only to the cast manifold so with headers into side pipes you'll need to modify something to get it to fit.
I kept the cast exhaust and went with under car duel chambered exhaust, sounds great.

Old 10-17-2006, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator

Check out www.ecklers.com and www.mamotorworks.com , you may score what you need.

Ohh.. Ya....,
Wecome to CF.

Old 10-17-2006, 07:42 PM

WELCOME TO THE FORUM,
I also have a 74 and the entire exhaust system was replaced by the previous owner last year.
He said he bought it the year before and it had the stock manifols with sidepipes. He had it changed because everyone who either got in the car or close to it burnt themseleves on the pipes. One of his friends got 3rd degree burns on his hand when he opened the door to get out he accidently touched the pipe. My Vet now has Hooker headers and stock 2" exhaust.
When I get ready to change the exhaust again I will use ceramic coated headers and FlowMaster 2 1/2" series 50 mufflers.
I get a ton of back pressure with the 2" pipe. Really slows the car down.
The guy I bought the Vet from said he paid $1400 to change the exhaust around.
Good luck,
Schoon

Old 10-18-2006, 12:03 AM

Definitely... If you do the side pipes, *seriously* consider putting covers on them.

bill.

Old 10-18-2006, 12:03 AM
pg

HI schoon, didn't hear from you for a while. good to no that your back on the road again. Side pipes are not for everyone, there hot, there noisy and the C-3 covers cost way to much.
I think you made a good choice with headers into a 2&1/2 pipe with flowmasters, I'm sure that your car sounds great! Remember it's all about making your Vette your personal car. Enjoy your ride, PG>