General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

smoking car

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 10:55 AM
Default smoking car

Any one ever had an intake gasket go bad?, smells real bad but think it is un-used burnt oil leaking verses burnt oil from exhaust. Someone told me it might be the intake gasket. (smells like you spilled oil on motor from putting oil in after an oil change and spilled some on valve cover.spilling little on motor.). Any help in what I might look for? I dont really want to get into rings and a valve job so it might be nice if it was just a intake gasket. If I have to pull motor any help I would appreciate. There is so little room someone out there might be able to tell me how to go about doing it the easy proper way. I might start out by lifting car to see if I could reach the bell housing bolts let alone trying to unbolt them. someone out there tell me the steps in pulling motor out of a vette please ,,,Thank you Darrell C.

Old 04-23-2007, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: smoking car

Welcome to CF!
Generally, the valve cover gaskets go first, then the timing cover gasket/seal. Look around the edges of these componants, if they are leaking, you'll spot the leak.
Smoking, out the exhaust,usually comes from leaking valve guide seals, or bad rings. An intake leak will cause the engine to run a high rpm idle. I seriously doubt that your engine smoke is caused by a leaking intake.
Pulling an engine.....
I suggest dropping the tranny. You should be able to pull the engine with the bell atatched. (If you have a stick shift) If you have an automagic tranny, still pull the tranny first. Yes, you can reach the bell bolts, and remove them.

Old 04-23-2007, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator

The back of the intake could be leaking oil and not run bad. Check that, which you can probably see from underneath the car. Lots of times, mostly, Starship is right. It might be the valve cover gaskets leaking oil on the exhaust manifolds. [8D]

Old 04-23-2007, 10:39 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: mech259

Lots of times, mostly, Starship is right.
I take that as quite a compliment, commin' from someone with a lot more knowledge than I, L.B.

I was thinking of a port leak in the intake manifold, which wouldn't cause smokeing,but ya, leaking out the back of the manifold, oil can get to the exhaust pipes and cause engine compartment smoke. Lots of air turbulace under the hood while drivin'. This can cause oil froman intake leak to splatter. Don't overlook the dist. oil seal.