General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Taking off c5 front fascia

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 07:03 PM
Default Taking off c5 front fascia

A piece of a tire struck my car on the highway the other day and bent in the z06 front grill inserts. I know you have take off the front fascia toinstall thembut I'm not sure exactly how. If anyone has a link or any first hand knowledge on how to do this that would be great.

Thanks!

Luke B

Old 10-06-2007, 07:30 PM
cwb
Default RE: Taking off c5 front fascia

ORIGINAL: chargedvette02

A piece of a tire struck my car on the highway the other day and bent in the z06 front grill inserts. I know you have take off the front fascia toinstall thembut I'm not sure exactly how. If anyone has a link or any first hand knowledge on how to do this that would be great.

Thanks!

Luke B
Yikes! What a stinker!

However the procedure is, I bet havin'a blanket under the front end would be step #1...

Did you have only grill insert damage? No glass cracked?

Old 10-06-2007, 07:53 PM

No glass cracked no front end damage just the grill insert that is screwed into the fascia (I got really lucky). I figured out how to get most of the fascia off I just can't figure out how to get the connections for the front fascia under the hood off.

Old 10-06-2007, 10:55 PM
cwb

ORIGINAL: chargedvette02

No glass cracked no front end damage just the grill insert that is screwed into the fascia (I got really lucky). I figured out how to get most of the fascia off I just can't figure out how to get the connections for the front fascia under the hood off.
Sounds like adjuster connections, as opposed to the primary [anchoring] connections. I bet the ones that are hangin' you up are the ones that adjust so that body edges can meet up properly, after the main bracket connections are bolted....

Old 10-06-2007, 11:57 PM
Super Moderator

How about some pictures Little brother? I tried to look it up on google but I guess I'm too stupid or something. But,...if it went together we can get it apart.

Old 10-07-2007, 12:31 AM

I will try to put some pictures up tomorrow. The freakin grills were just on with heavy duty double sidded tape, but after taking the grills out I noticed that my fog light had gotten hit by the piece of tire and is pushed back and bent down. I have to get the front fascia off to get to it I can't find any other way to get in there. I read online that I have to take the turn signals out and remove more screws to get the fascia offbut I have no clue how to remove the turn signals. The front of the car is up on jack stands tonight........ hope it doesn't hurt anything but I'm to lazy to go jack the car up and take the jack stands out from under the front of the car.

Old 10-07-2007, 12:49 AM
Super Moderator

LMAO! Your a nut...I don't think the stands will hurt anything. LOL!
Take the turn signals out? I know .....you have to go around your *** to get to your elbow with these things....geesh. On my '87 there are screws on the inside holding the fixture in place. In the back you have to lie on the ground and blindly reach up and use the eyes in your fingertips to get them out. Almost as bad as changing the dang bulbs. I still have scars from doing that. I'm getting ready to replace my left rear quarter and I'm not looking forward to getting it loose from the rear cover. it's got a billion rivets or screws all the way at the top. What a bunch of pin-heads the designers are. No wonder the '83 didn't work out. I wish I had gone to GM design school like my brother told me. I know I could have done them better. Hell! I've built more difficult boat boat designsall in one piece, that are easier to take apart. LOL! Oh well,....Tomorrow is another day.

Old 10-07-2007, 12:53 AM
cwb

see anything here?

(from http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...+fascia+remove)

2. First, turn the front wheels against the lock all the way to the right to get some working room. You can see that there are three screws holding the wheel well liner to the front fascia. We're going to remove two of them; the topmost and the bottommost:

Our objective is to remove the screws and the zeus fastener that they thread into. You might want to remove the middle screw temporarily to allow enough flex to easily get at the zeus fasteners. Once the screws are out you can use a screwdriver to poke the zeus fasteners out of the hole. These will fall out when you push them; be sure to catch them so they won't just rattle around in there.
BTW, removing the zeus fasteners is one of the things the directions don't tell you...

Once you have them out, you'll have a 5/16" hole into which you can insert the machine snap-screw and its bushing. Just push the assembly through the liner into the fascia and tightem them down. You may have to hold onto the lip of the bushing with needlenose pliers to keep it from turning as you tighten the screw. The mechanics here cause the bushing to swell to fill the hole as the screw is tightened. It won't tighten so much that the screw won't turn; just do the best you can. Here it is, all done:

Turn the wheels all the way to the left and repeat the process on the passenger side. When you've finished installing the two snap-screws on each side you're ready to turn your attention to the bottom of the front fascia.
3. There are five screws holding the bottom of the front fascia to the frame; we're going to remove three of them. This picture is taken from beneath the car (it's on a lift) shooting toward the front of the car. You don't need a lift to do this; it just made the picture easier to take:

Old 10-07-2007, 07:25 PM

Thanks guys, I saw that link on Google cwb for installing a bra but there is much more to it than that. I tried just removing what they showed and I swear the damn fascia is as sturdy as it was when I had all the screws in it. I gave up and just took the grill on the other side out, I figure when I throw another belt I will have them put the fog light back in place. I still don't know how the hell the piece of tire went through the grill hit the fog light bent it back and didn't break it?!?!?!?!

Old 10-08-2007, 01:02 AM
Super Moderator

Gave up??? Ohh maannn!

Quick Reply: Taking off c5 front fascia