General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Vortex or tornado device

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 11:41 PM
Default RE: Vortex or tornado device

"And modernh technology? I have more in any one of my three cars than you have in yours (and dyno sheets to prove that it all works). "
thats nice, but your more than TWICE my age, and I wouldn't trade that for the world.
as for the mine is bigger than yours approach---- mines not wrinkled big boy

by the way, aren't you the guy in the K&N banner ad?

Old 03-15-2006, 12:07 AM

C4Power:

I'm another who doubts the tornado does anything, but unlike L W I have no facts, just thirty years of intuition/experience on cars of all types and a vague recollection of some test in Motor Trend years ago on a vortex of something like that, and some other inexpensive things that claimed to add power -- I recall none worked, except, I remember, better spark plug wires, which added something noticeable.

But I think I'd give it up. Maybe I'm an old guy like Willis, but his comments on dyno tests are true - everyone knows they are only good for about + or - 5 HP accuracy. I've dynoed the ZZ4 crate motor in my Chevelle several times in the last year to see how it does as it loosens up as I put some miles on it, and its obvious test results vary by atleast that - same motor, same dyno, different days -- no reason anyone can put their finger on.

And old guys like us aren't worried about our "equipment," if you get my meaning - but maybe you are, since you brought the subject up. Regardless, this forum isn't the place for things like that.

Old 03-15-2006, 12:21 AM

well I guess that we all should be glad you "old guys" are here to clear things up.

Old 03-15-2006, 08:15 AM

Gratitude is not necessary. However, most of the old guys on this and other forums have been around the block enough that they really know their stuff. Whatever you think of their age, realize that building up dozens of modded engines, running hundreds of races, and having spent several months, cumulatively, of your life in shops making dyno runs gives a person a real, no-BS experience base you can't buy any other way. In addition, it helps to be old enough that the testoterone is no longer doing all the thinking for you --> I've won several races, including one match for $12K, where that mattered more than the HP.

And for the record, while I use K&N filters in all my cars, I am not the guy in their ad: he is more more handsome than I am and his vehicle has many more lights on the top of it than my cars do: I am short, fat, buck toothed, cross-eyed and acne scarred and all my cars are only about half the size of his truck: women just love me because I'm rich, have really good taste, and the plots of all the books I've pubished are so romantic.

Old 03-15-2006, 10:25 AM

wow a whole 12k , holy **** thats awsome, how many years trying to get that big win did it take you, I don't care about your crappy petty victory ,Just like you don't care that I have built a new constuctuion residential home and sold it for a 122,000 dollar PROFIT- yes profit- here lets recap, bought the land for 39K(cash) sub-contracted the house

Old 03-15-2006, 10:27 AM

as much as you care about that is how much I care that you think you have better cars than I do, do I need to post the Picks of My Silver Wraith II LWB? let me know when you would like to remove the other foot from your mouth- and I'll prove in the pick its mine- if you need it- so I boubt you got anything on me old man- I'll be retired by the time Im 39 at the rate I'm going- you started the bragging, now didn't you?

Old 03-15-2006, 10:30 AM

here I'll let you sample the engine

Old 03-15-2006, 06:41 PM

ORIGINAL: C4POWER

wow a whole 12k , holy **** thats awsome, how many years trying to get that big win did it take you, I don't care about your crappy petty victory ,Just like you don't care that I have built a new constuctuion residential home and sold it for a 122,000 dollar PROFIT- yes profit- here lets recap, bought the land for 39K(cash) sub-contracted the house
You know, you really are among the most obnouis persons I've met on any forum.

That was $12 grand for one three-run race on one night: more than you have ever won, or will, with your car. I've probably won about $200K and lost about $50K over the past twenty or so years on bets. Somewhere in the archives back in the Street Strip here is the rport on the 3-way race with a new ZO6 that won me $5K a couple of months ago, etc.

As to making $122,000 Profit on selling a house, that is good - you clearly are working in the right direction, but really is not a reason to feel like you are Donald Trump or Warren Buffet, particularly as you put in the sweat equity by being your own contractor. I made right under $240K clear profit, all long-term capital gains the way in did it, in three years in the late 80s, buying and selling a condo in NYC, doing nothing but a bit of spatial study about sales escalation rates to pic a place sure to escalate in price. Similarly, by buying in the right place, I know if I were to sell my place today, I'd clear somewhere around a $780K, or about $70K year profit on the initial $380K I put in to my present house 11 years ago, - not a bad return on the money I put in, but then not that great.

But back to the topic at hand, which as far as you are concerned, seems to be you. So far I fail to see why you are: a) so impressed with yourself, b) so hostile to people on this forum that disagree with you, c) so certain you are right about cars.

Old 03-15-2006, 06:48 PM

must have really touched a nerve on that one-
and so the story unfolds

Old 03-15-2006, 07:18 PM

Back to the question at hand !! I am also a member on the caddilacforums and these damn tornado, vornado, vortex turbo yadda yadda whatever. Believe or not you guys are being nice on here, anytime someone asks about these things everyone goes nuts LOL..Basically after reading literally hundreds of posts what I've narrowed it down to is this....These products spin the air into a vortex to "boost" the air flow, only one tiny little itsy bitsy problem, except on an old carbuerated 4bbl, these things are inserted BEFORE the air cleaner so this "spinning" air coming into the throttle body hits the air filter media prior to entering the throttle body, if it is spinning or doing ANYTHING prior to hitting the filter guaranteed it will no longer be flowing the same way it was after exiting the tornado ! Keep in mind the product being sold in every corvette catalog for the C4's that goes directly into the entrance of the throttle body to smooth the turbulence prior to entering, notice it is located AFTER the air filter and they without question show increases. Sounds simple enough but these damn things are still EVERYWHERE on the market and sooo many poor unfortunate people are getting sucked in every day :^(

Oh well, just the info. I have put together as I too originally thought about purchasing this product.
Tony B.

Quick Reply: Vortex or tornado device