General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

What it is!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 02:12 AM
Default RE: What it is!!!!

Just a thought here, I am not an engineer, just a Land Surveyor. But, no matter what speed you were going, wouldnt the error be the same? I mean, you wouldnt see it on the speedo because as richb said, its not reading 0 if you are going 7. But, assumingthe error at 100mph is 12mph, then that would mean starship is correct and that it is 88% accurate. which means when it read 50mph, it would only be about 44mph. And then you just keep working down from there. So the slower he got he wouldnt notice it right? I kinda went off on a rant there, but the point of that was to say that no matter how fast he was going, the Odometer would still be off the same amount, it would just be carried out. So whoever figured up the original number of what his Odometer should say, they are probably right ASSUMING we have all of the information correct.

Im probably wrong though!

Matt

Old 12-17-2006, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: 94blackC4

Just a thought here, I am not an engineer, just a Land Surveyor. But, no matter what speed you were going, wouldnt the error be the same? I mean, you wouldnt see it on the speedo because as richb said, its not reading 0 if you are going 7. But, assumingthe error at 100mph is 12mph, then that would mean starship is correct and that it is 88% accurate. which means when it read 50mph, it would only be about 44mph. And then you just keep working down from there. So the slower he got he wouldnt notice it right? I kinda went off on a rant there, but the point of that was to say that no matter how fast he was going, the Odometer would still be off the same amount, it would just be carried out. So whoever figured up the original number of what his Odometer should say, they are probably right ASSUMING we have all of the information correct.

Im probably wrong though!

Matt
I believe you're right, the diff would remain constant. Otherwise, all speedos would be inaccurate no matter how they were set.

Old 12-19-2006, 10:47 AM

Coffee is coming out of my nose. Steam is coming out of my ears. My CF friends have all gone off of their rockers with the cold weather approaching!!! How *DARE* anyone in this forum reccomend driving your C3 for any distance even *approaching* ten miles at a measly 60 MPH. The cops should pull you over and impound your Vette if you even consider doing a silly stunt like that on the public roads!!

Merry Xmas
bill.

Old 12-19-2006, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: wrwalke

Coffee is coming out of my nose. Steam is coming out of my ears. My CF friends have all gone off of their rockers with the cold weather approaching!!! How *DARE* anyone in this forum reccomend driving your C3 for any distance even *approaching* ten miles at a measly 60 MPH. The cops should pull you over and impound your Vette if you even consider doing a silly stunt like that on the public roads!!

Merry Xmas
bill.
Whoa......bill.......I didn't condone drivin' a C3 at 60 mph! I just used the figure for math's sake!
How's this,...........
88% of 120 mph, 12% of3000!
Is that better?

Old 12-19-2006, 09:40 PM

I would not assume that the error is constant as a function of speed, or that it affects the oidometer the same as the speedometer, until proven. If so, that is a big clue to the problem (my first suspect then is the gear ratio correction in the ECM). If it varies as a function of speed then it is almost certainly a flaw in the speedometer mechanism itself as opposed to the sensors and electrical system.

Old 12-19-2006, 10:35 PM

Aha!! Lee Willis is correct. I wasnt thinking about that! I was just ASSUMING that the problem would be the gear ratio. The gear ratio and tire size (as programmed into the ECM), i believe, would be the only two things that would make the difference consitent. If it isnt either of those problems, then we can scrap whatever I said. I dont believe tire size would affect the speedo 7mph. So the only other option for my theorum would be the gear ratio.

Hey SCHOON, do you have stock gears or are they aftermarket? If they are aftermarket, when you got your motor rebuilt, did they return the ECM to the stock settings? If so, your speedo could be off because of that and that would also help us figure out what the deal is with how many miles you have actually put on it.

Matt