General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

White smoke

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 08:44 PM
Default White smoke

I have a 1976 L82 and runs awesome with about 5000 miles since rebuild 6 years ago. Recently I am getting white smoke after driving at 65-75 for a half hour or so only when I excellerate, and when I slow back down to 50 or so in a couple of minutes it goes away. But doesnt happen all the time but alot lately. Any sugestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-29-2007, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: White smoke

Welcome to CF!
My first suspect is the valve guide seals. Since you have a recent rebuild, as far as miles go, I would rule out rings at this time.

One question though, are you sure it's smoke and not steam?
Just to rule out other probs, check for water in oil, and oil in water. This would be evident by a whitish milky residue on the dip stick or radiator cap.
These are my best guesses Bro!

Old 04-29-2007, 09:52 PM

Welcom to the forum my76, give us a little more detail on the smoking problem. Do you get smoke on a cold start-up?, is the engine using an excessive amount of oil? Are you using the stock crankcase ventilation system( PVC valve, hose, PVC breather filter in the air cleaner housing) and is it working properly? Also Starship makes a good sugestion on checking for water in the oil and oil in the water, a tell tail sign of water in the crankcase would be small dropletts of condensation and/or rust at the top of the dipstick, let us know what you find.

Old 04-29-2007, 10:45 PM

It is all stock and no I dont see any water on dip stick and I did notice it has burned about a half quart in the last 1300 miles.

Old 04-29-2007, 10:49 PM

Yes it does smoke a little at startup untill I can kick the idle down, but the problem usually occurs when i going 65-75 was wondering if the carb could have something to do with it when using all 4 barells. Thanks

Old 04-29-2007, 11:06 PM
Super Moderator

If the carb was out of adjustment, you would have alight haze ofblack smoke, showing it is running rich.

Old 04-29-2007, 11:24 PM

I got this last July so havent had for very long, but the last owner said he only put 400-500 milesa year and never went over 60. I bought it from a broker, and contacted the old owner before I bought it.But to give you a better history of it this was the listing for it http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevr...mZ140014326903

Old 04-30-2007, 12:39 AM
Super Moderator

That's a fine lookin' Vette Bro! [sm=icon_rock.gif]

After some thought, I'll go with my original diagnosis, valve guide seals.
Smoke at startup, tells me that oil is leaking past the valve guide seals as the car sits, letting some oil into the cyl. When you start the engine, the oil is burned, so you get some smoke, and it usually clears up after a few seconds.
This is not a big prob, but should be taken care of. It's not that hard to fix.
Go step by step, and take your time. You don't have to pull the heads, so don't let some shyster mechanic tell ya dif.

Old 04-30-2007, 03:22 PM

HOLY SMOKES, that car is gorgeous! I am love with it!!! Your problem doesn't sound serious to me at all, and I'm with Dave here on the valve seals. Keep us posted, and if you have any more pictures of that gorgeous Vette, please post 'em!

Old 04-30-2007, 06:57 PM

Yep, put new valve seals in her and see how it goe's from there.

Quick Reply: White smoke