General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Why can't I change user-specific folder and variable names?

Old 04-22-2009, 02:27 AM
Default Why can't I change user-specific folder and variable names?

Is there any way to modify or delete a 'user variable' on XP Pro without login to the account?
The story is this. I got a laptop repaired but the OS (together with defective speaker and audio board) was re-installed. The problem is the Windows was installed with a username which I would like to replace. Doing through Control Panel-> User Account was successful.
However, %USERPROFILE% and %HOMEPATH% still point to the wrong folder. I managed to modify %HOMEPATH% through "Local Users and Groups" -> Users, but %USERPROFILE% remained not pointing to the new folder under C:\Documents and Settings. Then I decided to add USERPROFILE in 'user variable' to override the value used by XP. Now I can not login any more through regular reboot or safe mode. I still can login as Administrator.
How do I delete USERPROFILE that I created? From regedit, it seems I can only access Environment Variable (user variable) defined by Current User.