New Member Area Introduce yourself and your Corvette here.

65 ragtop

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 02:05 AM
Default 65 ragtop

Hi all! I recieved this Tuesday and am not sure what I need to do with it. It's a '65 ragtop, non-matching numbers, modified body, 23714 original miles, 327 engine. First question is what should I insure it for? Second question is how do I track down the specs of what it had originally?And before anyone gives me grief over the paint, yes it did belong to Captian America, 6'-4" of ex-marine!

[IMG]local://upfiles/4887/A90F0C0BFB3C473DADB1BA6A986D2B2D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-01-2007, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 65 ragtop

Welcome to CF!
I'll look up some sources for ya and get back.

Nice Vette!

Old 04-01-2007, 03:01 PM

Thanks for the welcome C3S, I was starting to wonder if everyone thought my post was an April Fool's Joke! Really, my ex-husband purchased this in 1967 when it was two years old and it was his baby until he passed away in January. It still has the 1970 parking pass to U of New Mexico on the window, his running joke through the years was he used to chain it up outside the student union and reel it in when it was full of blondes. I first saw it 12 years ago and it was love at first sight! Isn't there a spec plate somewhere on the body that has the options and paint codes? I appreciate the help.

Old 04-01-2007, 07:53 PM

I would'nt change a thing on it, THAT'S an AMERICAN car.

Old 04-03-2007, 12:44 AM
Super Moderator

I understand that there may be a "build sheet" up around the fuel tank.
Not sure, just heard some guys talkin' about it.
www.mortech.com can give you info on any part numgers that you may have.

Old 04-03-2007, 01:36 AM

Hi C3S, I've spent too many years out in the field to get jerked now, "heard some guys talkin'about it". lol, you think you funny! Is it next to the upside down bolt? Seriously thanks for the website on part numbers, things are getting more interesting as it comes apart. Husband number #2(hereafter referred to as H2) pulled the engine and tranny Saturday and thinks it might actually be a matching number. Bad news is a broken piston and the clutch plate ate its way thru the bell housing. So highho, highho its off to the machine shop we go. What does 4:11 and Fuelie mean????

Old 04-03-2007, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator

I stated "I'm not sure", because I have not found a build sheet on mine. That doesn't mean it wasn't there at some time. The ones talkin' about it were on this forum, and they are prob right. There was a pretty good conversation about it, and the topic comes up from time to time.
I wish I could give you more than a deffinate maybe.
4:11 to 1 is the rear end gear ratio. Fuelie heads have a slightly higher comp ratio, and larger valves. You'll find a double hump casting on the ends of the heads. It'll be a rectangle about 2" x 1", with a hump and each end, of the top side of the rectangle.

Old 04-13-2007, 12:26 AM

Hi C3S, I followed the thread about plastic/margerine, who you been sliding up to recently? H2 has been using me a grease monkey and grease rag, I have officially been promoted to "Parts Washer", of which there seems to be an amazing number of. The ragtop now has 2-327 engines, the original was/is marginal even bored out, so H2 got to bench racing with the machine shop owner and he helped track down a block.And, yeah, found the camelhumps on the heads, learning new things about this car is fun! If only I can get the black out from under my fingernails..........

Old 04-13-2007, 01:59 AM
Super Moderator

".....If only I can get the black out from under my fingernails.........."

gojo does a good job of that. It even comes in orange flavord for that citrus fresh feeling. Have fun with the car.

Old 04-13-2007, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator

Before gettin' into the grease, scrape your fingernails on a bar of soap. The soap keeps the grease out from under your nails, and washes away at clean up. For that black staining grease on your hands, use any clean oil. It will remove the dirty grease and make cleanup a lot easier.

Quick Reply: 65 ragtop