New Member Area Introduce yourself and your Corvette here.

C4 towing capability

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 10:29 PM
Default C4 towing capability

Even the engineers at GM could nothelp me with this one...I recently purchased a Curt Mfg. receiver hitch for my Ruby ('93) and was hoping to determine the maximum weight that I might be able to tow with it. I am moving from CA to NC and am now down to counting pennies after my home purchase so rather than spent $1200 for an auto transport co. to ship my '78 Corvette I opted to purchase the receiver hitch along with a tow dolley. To help recduce weight I removed the engine from the '78 and will be placing the REAR tires on the tow dolley. Of course with the dolley there is practically no tongue weight so I am not too concerned with the rear suspension of the '93 Vette. Anybody have any thoughts on this???

Old 03-27-2007, 12:39 AM
Default RE: C4 towing capability

sorry cant help you on the towing , just glad to see some more vette's coming to nc. what area?

Old 03-27-2007, 02:04 AM

My wife and I are leaving the SF Bay Area and re-locating to Morganton. She is originally from Candler (Asheville). I'll be leaving here on Fri. and arriving in Morganton on the following Thursday...one Vette pulling another. I'm sure that will be a sight to see! BowtieDon

Old 03-27-2007, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator

You might concider towing it forward. As I understand,you need the steering loose on the towed vehicle in order for you to make turns. Ya might want to look into this. I really don't think you'll have any probs towing your Vette with a Vette.

Old 03-27-2007, 01:35 PM

Thanks for the input. I agree with you as to placing the rear tires on the tow dolly. Fortunately my "Ruby" is an automatic so as long as I keep the trans in drive as opposed to over-drive my drive-train should be safe. I purchased this receiver hitch from Summit Racing and according to the manufacturer (Curt Mfg. Co.) I am within weight limits but it also mentioned in its mounting instructions not to exceed the car manufactures specs.I have seen Corvettes towing ski and speed boats before but was hoping someone with any published documentation could provide some insight.
This is the first time I have joined any "car specific" forum. I am a car nut since I have owned three '69 SS Camaros, two IROC Camaros and currently possess the 25th Ann Corvette, the 40th Ann Corvette, a '79 T-top Z-28, a '80 pro street Camaro (412 cid w/ tunnel ram) and a fully customized '73 Chevy (imagine that) C-10 stepside pick-up. I get ribbed alot for owning all this American iron and yet my motorcycle is a Gold Wing. Again thanx for the vote in confidence in my towing endeavor. Bowtie Don

Old 03-27-2007, 10:02 PM
Super Moderator

That's front tires on the dolly.
Drop your drive shaft, and either tie up or pull the tranny too. (since you've already pulled the engine.) You've got a looonng tow ahead, so don't take any chances.

Old 03-27-2007, 10:38 PM
pg

A Vette towing a Vette that will be a sight to see.
You'll love Morganton, it's next to the mountains and Blue Ridge Parkway and Pisgah National Forest and Rik's Corvette Parts is on Hwy 18! PG

Old 03-28-2007, 02:20 PM

You're right the area is beautiful and am looking forward to cruzn on the parkway. One thing I will miss here in CA is Pacific Coast Hwy. That road was made for Vettes...will miss the surf.

Old 03-28-2007, 02:36 PM

You've gotta take a picture of that, and post it! I'd love to see a photo of a Vette pullin' a Vette. Best of luck on your trip!

Old 03-28-2007, 02:59 PM

id like to see a vette towing a viper myself.... humph...

Quick Reply: C4 towing capability