New Member Area Introduce yourself and your Corvette here.

Leaking Injectors

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 04:36 PM
Default Leaking Injectors

Hello all... I'm new to this forum and pleased to be a member. Just purchased an '85 and I finally understand what g-force means. Well, I did until last Friday when the engine wouldn't even idle. When on the couple occasions I could get it to run (badly) the pipe after the converter was a beautiful bright red. Clue...very rich. After some more diagnostic (no codes) I discovered the fuel filter had some form of rusty glop which apparantly has given me an injector problem. I ran the fuel pump for a while and the fuel lines before the filter are clean so apparantly the filter had corroded internally. Plugs are gas soaked, I clean them and they become resoaked right away. Fuel pressure is fine, fuel regulator is doing it's job, compression is 150 on all cylinders, timing is on the mark, I have a bad EGR valve which I'm replacing along with all the injectors. Any insight in flushing the lines, fuel rails, etc. and what do I do with the cold start valve?

Your insight will probably save me from replacing another set of injectors if I don't do it right.

Thanks, Bob
85 Corvette
65 Turbo Corvair!

Old 11-11-2005, 09:09 AM
Default RE: Leaking Injectors

Frankly it sounds like you've not only through of everything, but checked them in the right order, too.

I'd try disabling the cold start valve - I think its purpose is to enrich the fuel air mixture when cold and maybe its doing its job too well.

You may really need a new set of injectors. The car is 20 years old and apparently they were sujected to all sorts of crap in the fuel. I've had to buy several injectors in the last year for much newer cars with cleaner fuel - sometimes they just go bad.

Old 11-11-2005, 09:15 AM
Default RE: Leaking Injectors

Buy the way, rwlvette. You have a 65 Corvair Turbo? There was a time (1965 to be exact) when I thought that was the very most desireable car possible. Now, seen through the objectivity and maturity gained in 40 years of playing with cars, I can see that it is . . .one of the most desreable little cars ever.

Which model and what shape is it in? Regardless, you are to be congratulated on keeping one of the truly unique jewels of auto world.