New Member Area Introduce yourself and your Corvette here.

New and C3 Corvette knowledge

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 03:37 PM
Default New and C3 Corvette knowledge

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum. I wanted to start a thread to introduce myself and let you know what I am looking for. Since as long as I can remember, I have wanted a yellow manual 1981 Corvette.
In about a year, I will be getting a my first full time job---time to buy.

So this thread is to serve three purposes.

1- To get a feel of the forum and get to know a few people.
2 - Learn as much as I can about buying such an old Corvette so when it comes time to buy, I already have the knowledge behind me. So please tell me what to look for, what to expect with such an old car, things to watch out for, what is typical of the cost for restoration (it doesn't have to look brand new, just enough to look nice and make it a summer driving car), etc. I am an open book, lets discuss this.
3 - find people, sites, and/or places that sell vettes so that I can find one easier when the time comes.

Thanks,
Francis

Old 02-01-2011, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome "~Stingray"!
This is a great forum with some real sharp members.
We'll help ya out as best we can.

Old 02-02-2011, 04:54 PM

Do you have any insight on the what to look for on purchasing a C3 corvette?

Old 02-02-2011, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator

You check the things you would on a normal car, BUT, there are areas you must pay particular attention too.
Wheel alignment, Vettes not only have independant suspension, but each wheel must be aligned. Make sure none of the wheels lean in or out at the top, and no in or out at the sides.
Check the underside, Vettes being so low to the ground, you want to make sure it hasn't been taken over any curbs or worse. Look for any dents or scrape marks on the frame, tranny and engine pans, look at the dif too for any signs of scraping.
Like other cars, make sure everything works. You may not be too concerned if you want to do work yourself.
And, rust.
Check 'er out real good. Cabin pillers NOT being rusty is very important.
Look for leaks, worn belts, and CRACKS in the fiberglass.
Most people know to check the "U" joints in the drive shaft, but most times don't think about the "U" joints in the axle shafts.
Well, there's a start of a list for ya.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by C3 Starship
Check 'er out real good. Cabin pillers NOT being rusty is very important.

Most people know to check the "U" joints in the drive shaft, but most times don't think about the "U" joints in the axle shafts.
Well, there's a start of a list for ya.
I am by no means a mechanic. I am starting to learn things with my mustang. But when you say cabin pillars I assume you mean the A and B pillar that separates the windshield from the doors?

How do you inspect the U joints? What I am looking for that is bad? I mean, if I see something obvious like a bunch of rust or cracking, that is pretty easy to figure out. But are things that a mechanic would notice. Example, the color is the metal is darker than the mother metal near by, so that would indicate over heating. Something like that.

Thanks.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:42 PM
Super Moderator

"U" joints are "U" joints whether in a drive shaft or an axle.
You want to check for any slop in the joint. If there is ANY movement other than smooth
rotaion, there are issues. Push, pull, and twist each joint "feelilng" for any abnormal movement. A lot of mechanic work is done just as often by "feel", as sight.

I'm lookin' for some diagrams on the frame and "Cabin Pillers". Soon as I find 'em I'll post 'em.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:36 AM

Hello Stingray,
I am a new member also and I have a 1981 4-speed, white with red interior. I am putting in a GM 330 hp 350 crate engine. It is a good driving car but I am tired of trying to deal with the "funnies" of the '81 smog junk and would like a little more power. I hope you find what you are looking for but 4-speeds are a little hard to find. I do need advice on what clutch to use but this may not be the thread for that.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by gpvette
Hello Stingray,
I am a new member also and I have a 1981 4-speed, white with red interior. I am putting in a GM 330 hp 350 crate engine. It is a good driving car but I am tired of trying to deal with the "funnies" of the '81 smog junk and would like a little more power. I hope you find what you are looking for but 4-speeds are a little hard to find. I do need advice on what clutch to use but this may not be the thread for that.
I would agree. They are even harder to find in Yellow.