New Member Area Introduce yourself and your Corvette here.

New Corvette; First Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 02:29 PM
Default New Corvette; First Oil Change

Always wanted a 'Vette so I bought a new one in February. C6 convertible with the Automatic, ride control, chrome wheels. Love it !
I've got 5600 miles on and the Oil Life Monitor is showing 40% remaining life on the factory fill Mobil 1. At that rate I'm looking at an oil change at around 9000 miles.

I know the synthetic oils are built for extended OCI's, and at about $80 a whack I don't want to dump it way too early. At the same time, I've never gone that long w/out a change. What are some of the rest of you doing? Anyone using off the shelf products other then M1? Pennzoil Platinum for example is an excellent synthetic and far less expensive than M1.

Old 06-19-2007, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: New Corvette; First Oil Change

I use Castrol. I wouldn't touch a penzoil product . [:'(]

Old 06-19-2007, 07:58 PM

I just got a 2007 C6 vert as well in sept. I have almost 4000 miles on mine and my oil life is around45%
I do not have a problem with the length of time between oil changeson these new motors and plan on adhearing to the oil life meter for all oil changes AFTER the 1st one which I have scheduled for thisfriday. My friend is a muscle car freek ('65 superbee, '69 camaro, '72 vette and a '06 charger) and he tells me change the oil at 1/2 the recommendation on any brand new motor as it is breaking in) While we are on the subject of oil I had to add a quart of oil last week as it was reading low oil on the driver message board and on measure.Could I possibly have a leak or is it normal to have to add oil on this LS2 engine between changes ? As far as Mobil one is concerned the manual says the oil life meter is designed to function with Mobil 1oil only but my Chevy Dealer says any synthetic oil is fine. And is planning on using an off brand in it on friday any comments on this ???

Old 06-19-2007, 08:35 PM

I have my oil changed every 3k - 3.5k miles with Royal Purple.

Old 06-19-2007, 11:36 PM

I assume the $80 you are assuming someone else is doing the change? If so do the change yourself. I think the C5 takes around 6.9qts and assume the C6 is similar. You can buy 5w30 mobil 1 fully synthetic at costco at $30 for 6 qts. The filter should be slightly less than $10. First time you'll need to get some ramps (rhino ~ $40) and a jack (low profile, 1.5 ton for around $75 at harbour freight) and a drain pan ($12). You can drop off the oil at a schucks when your done. This first oil change works out expensive but subsequent ones will be cheaper (~$47) and you know its been done right!

Old 06-20-2007, 12:06 AM
pg

Hi 3putter, for $80 dollars would you risk 20 Grand? Change the oil at half the recommended schedule as your friend suggests, and put in what GM recommonds, cause the next thing you'll here is that you ruined the engine because you put the wrong oil in it and that voided the warrenty. Your dealer is just out to maximise his profit. (BS on boges oil)Owning a vette costs more than owning a aircraft, if you adhere to the the schedule it will cost a lot of money but it will last for many years. PG

Old 06-20-2007, 12:16 AM
Super Moderator

Keep records and receipts of your oil changes, your warrenty will stay in effect if you have proof you did your part.

Old 06-20-2007, 09:03 AM

ORIGINAL: C3 Starship

Keep records and receipts of your oil changes, your warrenty will stay in effect if you have proof you did your part.
[/align][/align]Very much agreed. Good advice and practice.[/align][/align]Welcome to the Corvette Forum, 3putter.[/align][/align][/align]_____________________________
Corvette Extended Warranty - Are you covered?
Are your other GM vehicles covered with a General Motors Protection Plan (GMPP)? [/align][/align][/align]

Old 06-20-2007, 03:50 PM

When my 'vette was stock I used Mobil 1 full synthetic, I think the grade was 5W30 orsomething thereabouts,and I changed it every 5000 miles.

The current engine was built with piston-centered-rods, so I use a slightly thicker oil than stock, Mobil 1 full synthetic, 0W40 in winter, and 50/50 mixture of that and 10W50 in summer. With the mods and potentially heavy usage, I change the oil every 4000 miles. Same with the Camaro but we use 5-30. Both have billet oil filters with re-useable elements -- we remove, clean and replace the element with the oil change.

On the Porsche I've changed the oil every 7500 miles, or half the factory-recommended interval, using the factory reocmmended grade of Mobil 1.

Old 06-20-2007, 04:07 PM
cwb

ORIGINAL: 3putter

40% remaining life on the factory fill Mobil 1. At that rate I'm looking at an oil change at around 9000 miles.
What is the half-life of synthetic?

And FULLsynthetic? Is there a HALF synthetic?

Is the decay rate even exponential? Or linear? Any chemical engineers in here? I know a little, but not all that[8D]

If you find this out, let me know. Synthetic is recommended for LT1's also.........................................

Quick Reply: New Corvette; First Oil Change