New Member Area Introduce yourself and your Corvette here.

New Guy with a vette

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 02:24 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: New Guy with a vette

Boy Mike, that's always a tough question to answer.
Been just sittin' for 20 yrs......
Most likely, seals and gaskets have dried out and are shot.
You've got some work ahead of you to remedy that.
The car is worth bringing back to life though.
You have to balance, what your Aunt wants for it, with what you are willing to pay.
Since it's all there, and mostly original.........depending on the condition of the interior,.............( I'm thinkin')........at least 3g's..........no more than 4500.

Value is really up to the buyer, what's it worth to you?

I would suggest that you drop the gas tank, clean it out, rebuild the carb, replace trany and rear end seals. Replace front and rear crank seals, valve cover and timing chain gaskets, the water pump and thermo gaskets, and the intake and carb gaskets. Fresh plugs and wires. Don't forget to check the condition of the tires. Bleed and change brake fluid. Of course, change engine, tranny, and rear end oils.

I know that sounds like a lot of work, but when you're done, fire it up and go for a spin! At that moment you'll realize it was all worth it!

I wish I had that car to start with when I bought the "Starship"!
I immediately dropped 4g's in the suspention and drive train. Now gettin' ready for a fresh 454 to go in. She still needs complete interior done and paint.

It's truely a labor of love. ( oh, I already mentioned that )

I wish I could say, "Pay *X* amount for 'er, no more no less!", but I can't. [&o]
I hope I've done more that just add more confusion to the issue.

Changin' topic here.....
I was in two train wrecks, got any RR stories? I'd love to hear them!!!
If you have any true stories, we'd love to read them. Just so happens that under "Off Topic", True stories of.... we have a thread goin' where we can share our life experiances.
Glad to make your aquaintance Mike!
Dave

Old 03-31-2007, 09:34 PM

Dave, thanks for all the great info, in the past day my aunt basically told me to bring the car back, and she also said that we were way off in price. I told her about allthe information that I have been getting, but she must not be ready to sell it. I told her I would give her 4500, but I think she was thinking around 10,000, which in my book would be a real bad idea. So I took the car back to her and thats theend of that story. Maybe one day she'll think about itagain, but by that time it will be worth less.[>:]
Train story's, let's see: I had a guy about 2 years ago jump in front of my train and didsome hulk hogan move and then dropped down inmiddle of the tracks, wewent over him, I put the train in emergency. We stopped about 25 cars over him, my conductor radioed me and said you will notbelieve this, he crawled out from under the train did the hulk move again and ran off. What was he on!
You get all kinds of crazies in Chicago!
Thanks Dave for all of your info!
Mike

Old 04-01-2007, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator

Well....I agree, your Aunt isn't ready to sell yet. I'm sure she is pricing it on an emotional level. Time will tell, so keep an eye on it.

Hulk Hogan? Shmidt Dude!!! What an Idiot!
Several times, I contimplated what would happen if I ever got caught under a train.[]The things that worried me most, was the low clearance under the fuel tanks of the engine, gettin' knocked in the head by low hangin' brake hoses, or something else hangin' down from one of the cars. Or just plain gettin' cut in half. [&o]