New Member Area Introduce yourself and your Corvette here.

New, love it, need help

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 04:16 PM
Default New, love it, need help

C5 Hardtop 99 118k,
Car was in Arizona for 6 years, just moved to Georgia. I had steering column lock changed twice, Changed four windshields due to leaking inside(found out poor workmanship on changing the side gutter). Antilock message(warranty dont know what they done). Starter bracket broke(installed new crate engine under extended warranty, dealer said engine hydro lock, yea, in Tucson Arizona). Changed rear r/h wheel bearing(under extended warranty). A/C motor or pump ceased at 100K (Install new system). Belt tensionner bearing ceased at 110K. Reading this, I know now, I need new headlight motor gear, thanks to you guys.Hope it give some people heads-up what could hit them and at what mileage. Actual problem needed help: Last week I changed blinker bulb, from top(leaving headlights on),light will not go downanymore and lost my dashboard lightsand tail lights???? A/C pump does not come on, i suspect it could be the diode just before the pump(coolant leaked on it from reservoir)?. When the belt broke(tension bearing ceased)I had a message coolant overheat, I shut off the engine since than the car make noise when start in the morning, noise is worst as it get colder in the morning, goes away when car is warm. Thanks in advance, still love the car nothing compare for the price.

Old 01-08-2007, 05:27 PM
Default RE: New, love it, need help

WoW
you have had your share of problems. Did you buy the vehicle new?

Old 01-08-2007, 05:38 PM

Yes bought it new. 8 of June 99 in Tucson, my wife drove itmost of the time.I forgot to mention the a/c problem happenned two weeks ago unrelated to the bulb change. Gorichb, when I read this website not only it's very interesting but I found out I pretty much had all the problems described in all forum. Car was built on a Friday or Monday I guess, it's ok gave me a lots of fun and exciting moments. Went from Tucson to Vegas in the mountain was riding at 140 my top speed was 145, never could pass that started to think electric post comes too fast. Also forgot to mention light goes down when the multifunction switch is in a between position( not off not on!!???)

Old 01-08-2007, 09:05 PM

Fron the pattern of problems you have I would have guessed the car was flood damaged at some point. The car should easily exceed 140-145 so you have something wrong there, too.

Old 01-08-2007, 10:17 PM

Lee,
Believe me the car was never flooded , the extended warranty people sent an expert to look at the car before they agree to pay for the change of the engine.The top speed is the driver top speed, I agree ,the car can and will go a lot faster, not me. Any suggestions on the a/c and the diode install near the pump???any suggestion for the lost of the dashboard light and the tail lights going off at the same time, including the headlight motor not wanted to go down or up???I think it's the multi function arm but it's expensive and want to explore any other avenues before I spend the money.

Old 01-09-2007, 01:03 AM
Super Moderator

Certainly had your share. The "diode" you are referring to, if we are on the same page" is to keep voltage from back feeding. It is a zener diode across the terminals on the compressor.

Old 01-09-2007, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to CF!
I'm not up on C5's, but you've attacted the attention of some our best techs!

Old 01-09-2007, 12:29 PM

Gents,
Thanks for the welcome note. I'm not sure how this work is the fast reply goes to all of you? mech259 yes that is the diode I'm referring to, now If it goes bad will it stop the compressor from working(now the clutch do not engage but I have light on in the dash on the botton). Any ideas why I lost power to the dash light and tail light and the headlight motorat the same time. I temporary took powerfrom accessories wire and connect it to the brown wire(in the sreering column harness)that feed both dash lights and tail lights. It works but tail light are on at all time when you run the car. I also turn the multi function switch arm between off and on position and the light goes down.