New Member Area Introduce yourself and your Corvette here.

New Member (C5)

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 10:35 AM
Default New Member (C5)

Black 98 Coupe here.

After learning to drive in a Trans Am and four years later getting another F body, it was time for me to outgrow them and move on to my Corvette. It's honestly the most fun I've ever had in my life.

Quick facts about myself:

I'm 22, currently active duty Navy, and in the DC area until April.

Now the real important stuff:

1998 Corvette Coupe/hatch (What's the correct nomenclature?)
72,xxx miles
Automatic
100% unmolested, pure stock goodness even down to the radio (I use a cassette to auxiliary).
Black paint
Black leather
Not sure about wheel options on these, but it looks like whatever the lowest option would be.

Exterior condition: 7.5/10
Scratches are present, hood looks like it was closed on top of lifted wipers, so the driver's side has a part that's flaking. I'll have to get some fine grit sandpaper and smooth it out. Thinking black nail polish or touch up paint would be a decent coverup.

Interior condition: 7.5/10
Very worn driver's side seat, seat control plastic is only half clipped on, volume **** cover is missing, small sound control **** covers are missing, door panel clips feel broken on the bottom. Otherwise very clean and taken care of.

Mechanical condition: 7/10
No burning fluids, alignment and steering are good, transmission is solid. Current issues are the usual oil pressure sensor, driver's side window has intermittent functionality, the traction/abs shuts off sometimes, but has decreased in frequency, suspected due to battery dying (I heard this commonly causes gremlins). After a week and a half of driving, I've got it in the shop for a possible bent damper or bent crankshaft.

I'm looking forward to getting into the forums a bit more once I get her out of the shop. If I end up having to have the engine torn apart, I'm going to do it myself at a hobby shop on a nearby base. Any recommendations on modifications I should do while I have the thing apart or common modifications to a stock car are much appreciated.