New Member Area Introduce yourself and your Corvette here.

New to the site

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 01:23 PM
Default New to the site

Hey,
I'm new to this site and just wanted to say hi!! I just bought my first Corvette back in January. I've wanted one for a LONG time!!! Found a 1972 coupe on the net and traveled from Maryland up to Wisconsin with a car trailer and brought it home. It's in good shape, was a low HP 350 car with a turbo400 trans, but now has a 406ci 425HP engine. The seller of the car didn't seem to know anything about what he had, other that it wasn't the original engine. He owned the car for 6 years and put 4000 miles on it. Much to my surprise, when I got home and got the car on a lift, it seems that someone (i'm guessing 2 owners ago) has done a complete frame-off restoration on the car. The frame, complete front and rear suspensions, interior (door panels, dash pad, carpet), headers and exhaust, gas tank, etc...are all in new condition. I couldn't believe it!!! It seems that the body and paint are the only thing that hasn't been restored. It has been painted at some time (changed from green to red) and looks great from 10 feet away...but not perfect. The seats didn't have any rips in them, but the padding and frames were shot. I got complete new drop-in seats from CorvetteAmerica and put them in last weekend. It's just a weekend driver...but I sure do like it!!!!! From what I can tell from watching ebay, I got it for 8-10K less than it's worth.

Old 03-07-2007, 03:32 PM
Default RE: New to the site

looks good, like the old school stuff!

Old 03-07-2007, 04:19 PM
pg

Congratulations, and welcome to the forum. Sounds like you got a good car. Most of the time you get the car home and then realize that you need all that stuff.
Six years and only 4000.00 miles! I like to drive my car 1 hour a day, not just 1 hour per month!
Enjoy your new toy. PG.

Old 03-07-2007, 05:29 PM

I know what you are saying PG!!! I couldn't believe it!! The guy said that it was always garage kept and stored in the winter(???). I'm not kidding when I say that he knew nothing about cars. I asked him on the phone what kind of transmission it had and he said it was an automatic. When I asked him if it was a turbo350 or 400, he told me that all that he knew was automatic! When I got up to Wisconsin, we went for a ride (by the way, it was colder than chit up there!!). I asked him if he knew what gear was in the rear and he tells me that it's in the "D" gear which shifts by itself, or you can use the 1 or 2 to shift it by yourself. At that point, I just didn't ask him anymore questions and loaded the car into the trailer!!!! When I was leaving, he runs out of his house and gives me a big brown envelope full of stuff. He tells me that he doesn't know what this stuff means, but it has to do with the engine and maybe I could figure it out.

It was the build sheets, instructions and dyno sheets from the engine builder with all of the receipts from the guy who he had purchased the car from in 2001. Unbelieveable!!!

Old 03-07-2007, 11:34 PM

Hello,my friend,and welcome to the forum! A lot of restoration work done,huh? Wow! Are you going to finish the rest or are you going to drive and enjoy it for a while? To me it doesn't matter,you're like me,waiting for a long while to get a Vette! As soon as you can,put some pictures up,will ya? I'm still trying to figure out the picture thing myself('96 Polo Green Metallic II LT-1 coupe;almost 110,000 trouble-free miles,love it!!!!).Anyway,I'm happy you finally have your dream car.Just never forget;ENJOY IT,ok?your friend,Joe.

Old 03-08-2007, 02:01 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to CF!
What a Killer deal!!!
Like Joe says, post some pics when ya get the chance!

Old 03-08-2007, 02:17 AM
Super Moderator

Try this link for posting pics....

How-to: Add your picture to a post

Old 03-08-2007, 10:26 AM

Thanks for the warm welcome!! Since getting the car home, I've spent the last month or so fixing all of the "little" things, such as rattles (caused by missing or incorrect screws), replacing all of the weatherstripping, a small oil leak (fuel pump gasket), replacing the power steering hoses and assist ram, door handles and latches, etc...... With the installation of the new seats last weekend, I am done for this year!!!! Boating season starts in a few weeks and that puts my priorities in another place!! I'm just going to drive it on the weekends and enjoy it!! In the future, my only plans for the car will be to re-install the AC compressor and probably have it painted back to the original color (Elkhart green) at some point. It'll never be a big $$$ collectable like the big block or LT1 cars... but I'm quite sure that It will always be worth more thanwhatI paid for it!!!

I was able to figure out how to post pictures in the gallery. Click on the camera under my avatar to see them. I'll try to add a pic to this post.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4721/686FBB968C8247448DA8DDBD9554E417.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-08-2007, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator

Great pics!!!
Great car!!! [sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 03-09-2007, 08:04 PM

I like C3s. Specially the 427/454......ahhh**drools. Welcome to CF!!!

Quick Reply: New to the site