Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site

Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/off-topic-6/)
-   -   79 corvette (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/off-topic-6/79-corvette-20076/)

Driver 08-25-2022 11:01 AM

79 corvette

Hello everyone iam new here I have a 79 corvette I know.but I love her. Has a 350 run great all year yesterday it just quit going down road.started back up drove home on stop and go basis but got there.replaced fuel lines fuel pump ignition relay has new accel distributer new plugs plugwires elder rock carb.so stil starts then stalls.turn key starts up runs a minute shuts off instantly no sputter just off.let it sit starts but up stops.I’m so agervated I don’t know what to do at this point.I’m not a mechanic but have worked on lots of motors can’t figure this out can any one help.

thomas77 08-25-2022 06:32 PM

Welcome to the forums! Always a bummer when you have trouble with your baby! My brother had a 79, a very nice car.. Ok--No sputter, does not sound like a fuel issue. Sounds electrical. When was the distributor installed? After it started stalling or was it installed before it started stalling? I think I would check the wiring + and-connections outside of the distributor to see if they're tight. And the wire connections on the ing. module. You might want to consider changing the ignition module. The pole Piece has been known to shut things down also. But normally they work or don`t work. (but maybe) Just giving you things to check.. I would be curious to know if there was constant power to the + side of the distributor. If you could hook a test light to the + side of the dist. and start it and see if the light stays on or not even when it dies.That would help eliminate that question. Hope this helps some. Sounds like a little gremlin somewhere!!

Driver 08-26-2022 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by thomas77 (Post 80301)
Welcome to the forums! Always a bummer when you have trouble with your baby! My brother had a 79, a very nice car.. Ok--No sputter, does not sound like a fuel issue. Sounds electrical. When was the distributor installed? After it started stalling or was it installed before it started stalling? I think I would check the wiring + and-connections outside of the distributor to see if they're tight. And the wire connections on the ing. module. You might want to consider changing the ignition module. The pole Piece has been known to shut things down also. But normally they work or don`t work. (but maybe) Just giving you things to check.. I would be curious to know if there was constant power to the + side of the distributor. If you could hook a test light to the + side of the dist. and start it and see if the light stays on or not even when it dies.That would help eliminate that question. Hope this helps some. Sounds like a little gremlin somewhere!!

Hello again just wanted to say thanks I just put distributor 3 months ago but I went ahead and changed the ignition coil inside now it runs great 👍 just goes to show not all new parts last but thanks everyone

thomas77 08-26-2022 05:37 PM

Ya new parts these days it`s hit and miss sometimes. Good glad you found it! Back on the road!!