Off Topic A place to boldy go off topic of Corvette's. almost anything goes!

ATTN: SoCal & Central Cal people

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 04:09 PM
Default ATTN: SoCal & Central Cal people

My girlfriend and I are taking the C6 on a road trip up PCH to celebrate her college graduation and I am looking for some pointers on things to see, places to eat, etc. along the way. Here's our schedule.

Day 1: Vegas to Huntington Beach
Day 2: Huntington Beach
Day 3: Santa Barbara
Day 4: San Simeon
Day 5: Carmel
Day 6: San Francisco
Day 7: San Francisco
Day 8: San Francisco to Las Vegas

We already have Huntington Beach pretty much figured out and we know one place we want to have dinner in San Francisco, the rest is up in the air. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Old 04-18-2006, 07:56 PM
Default RE: ATTN: SoCal & Central Cal people

I'm from the east coast so I can't help you but that definitely seems like a nice trip. Have fun and be sure to take plenty of pics for us.[sm=signs003.gif]

Old 04-18-2006, 08:02 PM

ORIGINAL: PAY2PLAY

I'm from the east coast so I can't help you but that definitely seems like a nice trip. Have fun and be sure to take plenty of pics for us.[sm=signs003.gif]
Lots of pictures is definately in the itenerary .

Old 04-18-2006, 10:10 PM

well, i can't help you with central cali, but i was in frisco 4 years during college....

first off drive into downtown and park your car under union square... only one way in and out (on geary), so you can't really miss it. there are plenty of places to go and things to do within walking distance.
before doing anything, find one of the map dispensers on the street and grab a san francisco quide (free). the centerfold is a map of the downtown area with street directions (all one way). if you look at a map, you'll see all of these things are within 5-10 mins walk of union square:

on the northwest corner of powell and geary, is a bar called ponzu. i highly recommend this as a chill-out spot.
directly south of union square, on geary itself, is a macy's. on the top floor of macy's is a cheescake factory bar/restaurant. sit outside, on the deck... she'll love it. they don't take reservations though.
south on powell there is an awesome sidewalk pizza shop... if that's what the mood calls for.
three blocks south of union square (you should still be walking...) is market street. on market street is a massive 5 or 6 story shopping mall... if that doesn't earn you brownie points, nothing will.
on the northeast corner of powell and post, there is a fancy hotel (name forgotten). on the top floor of this hotel is the starlight lounge. great club, just make sure it's not 80's night or anything weird.
on the northeast corner of geary and mason (1 block west) is a club/bar called ruby skye... also very good.

from union square, head west on geary and then north on leavenworth. when you get to the northern shore you will be at ghirardhelli square. stop here for ghirardelli chocolate (i go with the shake) and enjoy it on the water. there is a restaurant here called ******* (don't let the name phase you... it's not like that). incredible, though expensive, east indian food.

if you park near the intersection of jackson and broadway, walking north/south will take you to more very good restaurants. walking east/west will take you to a bunch of nice bars.

on embarcadero you have pier 31 and pier 39.... excellent clubs/bars, and daytime shopping. you can also catch the ferries out to the different islands (alcatraz, anyone?) from here...

DO NOT forget to stop by lombard and leavenworth (make sure you drive).... you'll understand when you get there.

i apologize for going on and on, but i'm talking about one of my favorite cities in the world... as if you couldn't tell.

p.s. keep your eyes focused on your girl... because there are some great "sights" to see in san francisco. have fun.

Old 04-18-2006, 11:29 PM

^^^Now thats what I am talking about! Real time advice from a fellow car guy with tips on where to park and everything. I took her to San Francisco last year and loved it. I was thinking of actually staying at a hotel in Union Square, but if you have better suggestions, please voice them. I think we want to hit Alcatraz this time and of course, back to the best restaraunt I have ever eaten at, House of Prime Rib for one of the nights. After that we are open and will probably use some of your suggestions. I have already done Lombard St. in an F-150, but wouldn't mind doing it again in the C6 . Thanks a ton for the helpful tips Team 4R!

Old 04-19-2006, 05:42 PM

no problem...

i'm actually heading up the 101 to san luis obispo on 28 april for the weekend. gonna hang out with some old college buddies. i wish i could get back to sf one of these months, but the schedule has just not been nice to me.

as far as a hotel... the westin st francis overlooks union square (it's on the west side, across the street). that's where i'd want to stay...

Old 04-19-2006, 05:59 PM

We looked at the Westin, but wasn't impressed by the pictures for the price. We ended up booking a room at the W Hotel. We have stayed in one of their hotels in San Diego and loved it, so we figured we would try it again. Have fun on your trip to San Luis Obispo!