Off Topic A place to boldy go off topic of Corvette's. almost anything goes!

Box Truck

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 01:29 AM
Super Moderator
Default Box Truck

Any one know what the longest box size you can get on one of those quad-cab box trucks is? 26',30'35'? Something you don't need a special License for. Thanks

Old 02-21-2008, 07:48 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Box Truck

Up to 26,000 lb. gross, does not require a special licence.
I'veused 26' boxes. Ya might check with U-haul ,to see what size their longest boxes are. Ya lookin' for an auto carrier? There are some low deck 5th wheel setups that do a fine job.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:13 AM
cwb

ORIGINAL: blueshark

Any one know what the longest box size you can get on one of those quad-cab box trucks is? 26',30'35'? Something you don't need a special License for. Thanks
Enterprise now has 28's, for 26k loads.

The company I was last with before gettin' knocked down, wanted dedicated route vehicles that would take 7 (x 2) pallets deep.

14 on a truck never happened, of course

Old 02-21-2008, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator

You lookin' to buy, or rent a truck?
What cha wanna haul?

Old 02-21-2008, 09:27 PM
Super Moderator

Hey,
Thanks guys for the quick replies. I knew they had the retired rental Jobs with a 26' box but was wondering about one with a crew cab or extra cab at least. Most of the rental jobs are single cab. I guess it really doesn't matter. I'll have to look into the 28' box. Streachin' one shouldn't be too hard if needed.Actually I really needjust a cab and frame and then build my own box....yah! that's the ticket. I'd pretty much have to do that any way with all the custom re-work I'd have to do to make it work. It's basically just a dream right now but hopefully I might be able to afford one this summer. Right now just keepin the ranch from the repo man and grits in the fridge are #1, but later I might be in a position to wizz away some dust on this dream. LOL! I have a guy in "the great white north" that's wanting some custom boats built but he seams to have a problem removing his thumb from his a$$ and writing a check, The hozer, LOL!

My plan/dream was to fit a 30'-35' box with pop-out sides and small sleeping quarters high in the front of the box using the rest with the pop-outs as a mobile body shop/spray booth with thin tool cabinets, gen-set, compressor, etc. hung on the under side of the frame.Literally a body shop on wheels. With a wicked custom paint job on the outside as advertisement and an example of the work. And i can pull a trailer behind with the LS4 on it so I have a class ride to cruise around in while doin' the job. Definitely dreamin', eh? LOL!
I figured about $20-$25,000.00 if I get an olderused truck as a base and do the custom box myself. I have everything else but the media blaster and Gen-set. I could always just pack a bunch of fat extension cords instead of the gen-set to start with. LOL! Justburnin' brain cells while I type. LOL!

I always wanted to do this as a tooling shop for boats but most are too long and I would have needed to take up space it the customers shop. Cars are much small and would fit fine in a 30'-35' box as long as the sides popped out with hydraulics and leveling legs. Just need a wench and some retractable ramps on the back.... Cool!

Maybe I'm just being a fool but seems people are paying way too much for body work and paint jobs. I just thought of this last night after re-reading some of the posts here about paint job prices. Like I said ...I'm in the wrong business.

Well???....What do you folks think about that dream? LOL! could it work? or just a worthless brain fart? LOL!Probably never happen but dreamin's still free....right?

Cheers

PS: sorry it's sooooo long. But can't stop the synaptics when their firin' right.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:52 PM
Super Moderator

How about a good shop, and truck the cars in? Kind of a special touch.A nice 5th wheel trailor or a box truck, either would work. You wouldn't get many customers from out here, but you'd still have a good range to cover.
Then again, if ya wanna travel, get the truck,...I'll see ya in Aug, eh?

Old 02-21-2008, 11:22 PM
Super Moderator

I know it's kinda silly isn't it? Really doesn't make sense huh? Just thought it would be a novel Idea for that "special" custom paint job that not every body shop can or will do. Oh well...just a dream anyway.

I built a couple of mobile race shops back in the late '80's early '90's for some Formula boat teams and even a portable lounge, while at Fountain Powerboats, for an Indy car teams(4) owner from California, Dick somebody...can't remember his last name but he owns the trucking company with"Stinky? the Skunk" on the side of the trailers too. Justthought it might translate to custom paint and body mods on cars but I'm probably wrong anyway. Wouldn't be the first time. LOL!

I have a shop, actually two,just no business to do in 'em, LOL!
Nobody thinks of Tennessee for anything but Hillbillies and Moonshine,LOl!

Stayin' home would be the best thing, of course,but I was thinkin' (there I go again) most folks would rather have it done close to home so they could keep track of it. Unless of coarse they were independently wealthy and didn't mind flyin' in to keep track of their pride and joy. Most of the boat companies I deal with always try to get me to come to their shop before they will agree to farm the work out. Some never do farm it out because they are complete control freaks and want to watch every move you make.

Oh well, just a thought.... LOL!