Off Topic A place to boldy go off topic of Corvette's. almost anything goes!

C7???

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 12:02 PM
Ric
Default C7???

I was reading some news on the Internet about 2 weeks ago and the UAW said they would be making the C7 in Kentucky in 2012 I have not read anything from GM though. I was kind of waiting to see if somebody else had seen this. I was relieved to here it would stay in Kentucky I personally thought it would be in Mexico.
What do you guys think? Mid engine, Longer wheel basefor another gear? How about all wheel drive. whatever it will be GM has always gone the extra mile for the corvette. The advancements ofa new generation is always exciting and the design crews are next to nobody.

Old 02-22-2008, 07:00 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: C7???

How about a 4 x 4 with "Super Swampers".
Oh wait,.......I don't think that would work. [&o]

We can all speculate, but ya, I'd like to know what's commin' up for our beloved Vette.

Old 02-22-2008, 07:28 PM
Ric

Starship...you like to think outside the box so how about this. Automobiles will have to go to 24 volt before long. How about doing away with the cam and rockers and use solenoids to operate the valves running these all through a computer. Wouldn't that be fun to work on. Lotus is working on this now. I did a search on the C7 and there is a lot ofstuff out there it is kind of fun to look it over. I worked for GM for 30 years and I would say the C7 has bin decided on by now. They would still have to get the designer's, engineers and manufacturingleaders on the same page which is a tough task.

Old 02-23-2008, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator

At one time, I and another member, who is a heck of a lot sharper than I, discussedan igintion system based on lazer tech. Fiber optics for the "plug wires", and a variable focus "ignitor beam" that can be directed to any, or multiple points in the combustion chamber.
No more mechanical distributor or spark plugs.
How's that, for out side the box?

Old 02-23-2008, 09:53 PM
Ric

I love it starship I love to think about the different ways things can be designed. I guess thats why I get so excited win there is a new generation Corvette on its way. I would love to be able to see behind the certain at GM not so much to see the next generation but the experimental stuff that we never get to see or hear about. the stuff that doesn't work. There is no doubt in my mind GM can produce 35MPG with a high horse power corvette. It will take thinking outside the box. As much as I love the corvette of the past I hope corvette never tries to go back as ford did with the mustang. I think it would hurt the corvette's drive to be a worlds class sport car. Thinking outside of the box has always bin the way of the corvette.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:32 PM
Super Moderator

Ireally dislike, even the phrase,..."think outside the box". [:'(]

Now,..... just who, built this "box"?
It had to have been done by a committee.
I've never seen "the box", where is it? [sm=insomnia.gif]
If I'm supposed to, "think outside the box", am I in the box? [&:]
Who put me in, "the box"? [:@]
But,..........since I do, "think outside the box",
I must have escaped! [sm=bounceybounce.gif]

"Box"?,.......I don't need no stinking, "box"![sm=icon_flaming.gif] [sm=shades.gif]

You're not the only one, that would like to look over GM's shoulder. [sm=drooldude.gif]

Old 02-24-2008, 02:39 PM
ljg

C7? Look at the '09ZR1! I don't think a C7 could do much better than that.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:39 PM

I was reading popular mechanics today and it had a little article about the C7. Accoring to the article they are thinking about reducing the weight of the new vettebut they are also thinking about going to a 4.7L V8by doing this thay are thinking that the car will have the same or better horse power to weight ratio. They also want to improve fuel economy and the "greenness"

Old 03-26-2008, 09:20 AM

I heard they're not even bothering with the whole mid engine design anymore...I personally wouldn't like it going to a mid enigine design because it would end up costing way more money for not that much moreperformance gain...and I've always liked that bang for buck that the vette has..

Old 03-26-2008, 02:34 PM

BMW already makes cars that have no camshaft, its called Valvetronic, it uses a stepper motor to control the "eccentric shaft" that opens and closes the valve a certain amount depending on how much air the manifold senses is being let into the engine from the throttle body, they also have electronic brakes, so its brake by wire, instead of the pedal actually being connected to the master cylinder.