Off Topic A place to boldy go off topic of Corvette's. almost anything goes!

Can someone help me with this question on philosophy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 08:00 AM
Default Can someone help me with this question on philosophy?

Hi,

I want to start thinking about philosophy and thinking critically and I was wonderin is it possible to learn philosophy by just finding out the major questions in philosophy, and thinking and writing about them from my own perspective and having conversations with others about them and finding out their opinion of things, or would it be better to buy a book on philosophy. It seems like to me just finding out the questions of philosophy and thinking and talking about them with other people is alot better than buying a book because conversation is what philosophy seems to be all about, but I wanted some other opinions. Thanks in advance.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:56 PM

You won't do it with either way. Talking to people will enlighten you with the ideas of others and illuminate sides of your thinking you may not have seen before, but it will not be the same as "talking" to really great philosophers. But buy and read a book? It will take something more like 50 books, minimum, and someone who critically understands the great ideas to guide you into learning it well. Go to university and major in it for four years: that will qualify you to begin really studying it.

Personally, I'd recommend studying quantum physics, though. More interesting, I found.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:45 PM
Super Moderator

Stella, you're wrapped up in phylosophy clear to your neck.

Your above statement is a classic form of philosophy. Basicly, hypothisizing a wonder, out load.
Pay attention to your surroundings, it's everywhere. ; )

Old 04-26-2009, 09:20 AM

philosophy isn't exactly something you want to go just read books on. because the nature of philosophy itself is to get your own values out of your surroundings, and everything else around you. by reading books your not enlightening yourself in your own perspective. you should find some of the basic questions and just figure out what you think, then talk to some of your friends about them, find out where you stand, then read books on other peoples viewpoints and see where they're coming from. philosophy isnt about conformity its all about freethinking and completely random ideas that hopefully fall within logical boundaries. many times my friends and i sit around campfires and debated everything from the string theory, to the big bang. and were only in high school, so imagine how much more experience in life you have to discuss. good luck

oh, and another thing you might like to look into is psychology, i took a psychology class in my junior year, nothing too extravagant but it definitely is interesting.