Off Topic A place to boldy go off topic of Corvette's. almost anything goes!

Carbon Fiber

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 03:40 PM
Default Carbon Fiber

Hey guys, I was wondering how many of you actually use or have CF parts on your vette. Also what parts / pieces would everyone like to see on the market? I personally have the CF bug [sm=shades.gif], but some of that parts I would like to see in CF don't exist. Im sure some of you would like to see some more CF parts for an already beautiful car. Thanks for the input.

Dom

Old 09-09-2008, 06:13 PM
Default RE: Carbon Fiber

Most of the carbon fiber "parts" I see are aftermarket tack or glue on trim pieces to add a "carbon fiber" look to the interior or exterior, etc. This just adds weight, and I personally don't like the look of exposed carbon fiber (my Aston has a real carbon fiber center console, frankly I wish it was lacquered wood). People add it because carbon fiber is used in alot of exotic cars and they want the exotic look. I'd save the weight, and the glue, and just keep the stock look.

The only real need for carbon fiber is to reduce weight.I know you can buy acarbon fiber hood to save a bit, and fenders (if you can find them) would save noticeable weigh, all on the front end where a 'vette can use the reduction,and a radiator shroud, valances if available, etc. (I don't know if they are) would help.I have seen an aftermarketcarbon fiber drive shaft (expensive) and those make a big difference on a car like the 'vette where the drive shaft turns at engine speed, essentially reducing flywheel mass (the reason they are used on other V8-powered rear trans cars like allAstons and some Masers and etc.).

Carbon fiber does transmit more high-frequent vibration than metal, strangely, and you can feel that if you get into something that has carbon in the chassis or suspension cradles, like a Viper or Aston or Maser. I've been told that its the same with carbon fiber framed racing bicycles. Anyway, whileit's disconcerting at first, you do get used to it.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator

I see 'carbon fiber' as the new automotive 'buzz word'.
Gotta have it, price of no concern. Hmmm......
Not me. [:'(]
Now if I had boo-koo bucks, and they made a comp0lete body kit, and I was into drag racing or such, I might go for it.
I'm sorry, to me it's a fad.
Use it for an aircraft?, you bet cha.
It just isn't practicle for me, to even concider carbon fiber 'add ons'.
If it's the look ya want, buy some paint.

Old 10-06-2008, 01:41 AM

Im having a whole engine bay cover kit made up for me, but its getting painted glossy black. So you pop the hood and its a dark shiney mystery as to whats in there.

Old 10-06-2008, 07:04 PM
Super Moderator

Corbon fiber does look cool. It is very pricey and truthbe known it's light but it's real strength comes from useing it with other materials in a "composite" laminate. best used with another very pricey material called " kevalar".

Lota money for something that will just crack in a few months. [:@]

Have fun with it.

Cheers

Old 10-07-2008, 04:07 PM

A lot of the carbon fiber you see is just adorunment: stuff you will stick or glue on to give a "carbon fiber look" to stuff that is quite adequate otherwise. I think that is best to avoid it. And to me, carbon fiber doesn't look that good, quite like course weave fiberglass fabric covered with clear epoxy, actually.

I agree it is best in conjunction with other material: I noticed when we put my Aston on a lift that it was sandwiched with aluminum in some assemblies although the driveshaft and a rear suspension "cradle appear to be 100%, as are some body pieces (although you can't tell from looking).

Old 10-08-2008, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator

Just a note of interest:

It's used alot in drive shafts. It has a high tensile strength. It's shear strength is questionable at best, that's why itsmost effective use is for weight reduction and stability in a composite application.

A lot of drive shafts in offshore boats are straight Carbon fiber or a carbon fiber glass / kevalar high-bred but they are pressure filled with linear celled PVC foam so they won't collapse or twist off under hightorque acceleration. They are fabricated by wrappingone continuous fabric,in multiple layers, at a 30 to 45 degree angle, in the direction of intended rotation, around a collapsible mandrel with vinyl-ester or epoxy resin.

But to use it for something spanning like a hood with out any other material or substantial shape involved would allow too much flex and would eventually fail. It's only as strong as the medium binding it together. As for suspension and body parts, the shape in which it's cast will greatly enhance its structural capabilities.

For adornment, like dash panels and the sort,Iprefer the carbon fiber / kevalar high-bred. The rich gold of the kevalar sets off the dark charcoal of the carbon and a good clear coat will give it the illusion of great depth. Keeping the weave straight in those types of parts is a PITA, LOL!

PS: Lee, We would love to see more pictures of that Aston.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:58 AM

ORIGINAL: blueshark

Just a note of interest:

It's used alot........But to use it for something spanning like a hood with out any other material or substantial shape involved would allow too much flex and would eventually fail. ........
I'll be the first do admit that I know little about corvettes but many cars use full carbon fiber hoods without any problems. My Acura has a full carbon fiber hood.

But in general, there is a "fad" esp. among import guys which I find myself around a lot, due to my car, and they want carbon fiber everything: valve covers, panels, you name it. They manufacture all sorts of overpriced CF parts that I feel add very little to the car. The hood I have is part for aesthetic reasons and mostly because they weight next to nothing.

[IMG]local://upfiles/8058/8A5A07CD694840539A481FD2AA34AE1A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-22-2008, 04:51 PM

Carbon fiber hoods and fenders can be made strong enough if reinforced with the proper ribs, etc., it just costs moreand some of the cheap stuff out there neglects that.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:39 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Krytdrgn

ORIGINAL: blueshark

Just a note of interest:

It's used alot........But to use it for something spanning like a hood with out any other material or substantial shape involved would allow too much flex and would eventually fail. ........
I'll be the first do admit that I know little about corvettes but many cars use full carbon fiber hoods without any problems. My Acura has a full carbon fiber hood.

But in general, there is a "fad" esp. among import guys which I find myself around a lot, due to my car, and they want carbon fiber everything: valve covers, panels, you name it. They manufacture all sorts of overpriced CF parts that I feel add very little to the car. The hood I have is part for aesthetic reasons and mostly because they weight next to nothing.

[IMG]local://upfiles/8058/8A5A07CD694840539A481FD2AA34AE1A.jpg[/IMG]
"Carbon fiber hoods and fenders can be made strong enough if reinforced with the proper ribs, etc., it just costs moreand some of the cheap stuff out there neglects that." >Lee

Thanks Lee, My point exactly![sm=sleeping.gif]I don't know that much about carbon fiber laminates,...I've only used about 5000lbs of it so..... You guys with the fancy hoods, fenders and dash panels probably have a better handle on it than I.[sm=hail.gif][sm=smiley29.gif]

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber