Off Topic A place to boldy go off topic of Corvette's. almost anything goes!

Gas prices force a decision...

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator
Default Gas prices force a decision...

Well, I usually drive my F250 4x4 460 4 sp. to work. Figured out it costs meover 280bucks for gaseach month, just to get to and from work. [:@]
So,..........
Fri., I went to the Harley dealership and picked up a new '07 Sportster XL 883. $40 a month for gas. [sm=yikesomg.gif]Since it is under 1000 cc's, I get a good break on the insurance.
Now, I'm not a "rider" so to speak, but have ridden before. Not into clubs or goin' for cruises, just cheaper transportaion to work.
I'm savin' enough on the fuel to pay for the bike andinsurance payments each month and still have extra bucks left over for,....hmmmm,...........
More "Starship" parts! [sm=bounceybounce.gif]

PS
I'll try to post up some pics in the next week or so.

Old 03-30-2008, 04:40 PM
pg
Default RE: Gas prices force a decision...

Hi Dave, "Congratulations" on your new bike, I'm sure it will be a lot of fun!
Gas prices are going "Nuts", my other car is a Subaru and it gets 26 mpg but even at that it cost $35.00 a week to go to and from work. So that's 140.00 a month for that one.
The Vette gets 14 mpg so a weekend joy ride cost another 140.00 a month. I wonder if I could change the jets in the carb to get a little better milage or is there something else I could do? PG.

Old 03-30-2008, 05:45 PM

My DD, an 89 FJ62 Landcruiser, gets 9.5 mpg regardless of how I drive it. Costs me an easy $65-70.00 to fill it up and I do it every day maybe 2...do the math.

Of course my travels pay well and I'll trade $70.00 for $500-700.00 any7 day but still...damn!!!

My 87 vette gets around 20 in town and higher on the road but I never know where I"ll end up or what kind of roads I'll be on. Not to mention the screwy weather patterns lately.

Might get something smaller for a DD when the weather is good, but when it goes to hell...I'm takin the Landcruiser[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 03-31-2008, 04:42 AM

You had me scared for a minute Dave, the title on your post made me think you were gettin' rid of the starship. Congrats on the Harley, drive defensively.

Old 03-31-2008, 07:22 AM
Super Moderator

No worries Bro. That's what a few people have thought.
Heck, since the "Starship" doesn't run at the moment, she don't cost me a thing.She's paid for, so no payments. There are a lot of other things I would sell long before I'd even conciderlettin'her go.
I waited too long (46 years ) to own a Vette, she's family now.[sm=icon_rock.gif]

I'll be takin' a rider's course to get my class 4, and it'll also lower my insurance.

Old 03-31-2008, 01:52 PM

Can't beat the fuel economy on bikes. I've just always been afraid of riding because a lot of my buddies have had close calls.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:18 PM

C3 Starship--- I am glad to see you are taking the motorcycle rider's course. I too recently (going on4 years) bought a motorcycle. My DDis a 98 Silverado with a 350 engine. It only gets 15 mpg. And my 69 Vette also gets 15 mpg, but uses high octane fuel. So, I boughta 750cc Honda Shadow. I have put over 20,000 miles on it since it was bought new. It is giving me 50 to 55 mpg on regular fuel. The Vette has probably gottenless than4000 miles since I bought the cycle. Ride as if no one can see you! And don't ride faster than your abilities can handle.

Old 03-31-2008, 11:03 PM
Super Moderator

Hey Longtime,
I used to ride years ago, and yes, I've been down. Was my own fault.
I've wised up a lot since then. "It takes horse sence to handle horse power", as my Dad used to say. Danged if he wasn't right.
I won't ride in heavy traffic,I figure that would only be askin' for trouble. Too many stupid people on their cell phones and not watchin' what they, or anyone else, are doin'.
[sm=rant.gif]Just how in the heck did I get to be 56 yrs old and survive, without a phone glued to my head. I don't get it,.....what's so damned important that it can't wait 'til they're at home, office or at least the parking lot. [&:]Nuthin' is that important, stop liein' to yourselves. I see some one drivin' while on their phone, and I wanna just,......[:@].....wring their frickin' neck. If anyone get's offended by this, it's because they're part of the prob. I'm convinced that the portable phone is one of the worst inventions ever contrived. Hang up and drive your car, quit puttin' the rest of us at risk. It's like you're drivin' around with a loaded gun, pointin' at everybody. Ya wanna kill yourself, that's fine, I'll even provide the bullits, but just don't take me out with you. []
I'm just tryin' to get to work and save money on gas. [&o]
The next person that tells me bikes aren't safe, I wanna bust 'em one, right in the jaw. Bikes don't kill people, people on cell phones kill people on bikes.
FACT!
Proove me wrong, ya can't! I live right next door to the proof. My friend next door was almost killed by some b***h, who was on her phone and pulled right out in front of him. He spent two tours in Nam to come home and almost get killed by a damned cell phone. If you drive while on your phone, you're no friend of mine. You're just a killer in waiting.
O.K., I'll stop now, but,..... damn it anyway........

Old 04-01-2008, 12:14 AM

Dave... what is it with roadies and Harleys and Vettes? Is it the fact that we are almost deef and we need loud things to keep us goin'? Well whatever the reason... or cause... ride safe and watch out for the cagers with cel phones looking in their rear views. It's open season out there!
Later bro,
Wedge

https://www.corvetteforums.com/photo...=6&apage=1

My scooter, 1987 FXLRC 88cubes, 102hp on the dyno, shaved flywheels, S&S/Headquarters top end... the list goes on. Only gets about 25mpg though... I call him Frankenbike...
[align=left] [/align]

Old 04-01-2008, 07:43 AM

Sorry , I am bit amused when you guys talk about "high" gas prices.

Current prices on the pump in Germany :
( April 01, 2008 )

unleaded fuelconverted US$ 8.40 per gallon
diesel converted US$7.70 per gallon

Now, your comments please :-)
With each tank fill for my C6 will be $ 140 gone ..

I drive motorcycle too.
But we have here mostly bad weather and if sunny, huge crowded roads..
And we have also drivers which donĀ“t care what happens around them [:@]

Quick Reply: Gas prices force a decision...