Off Topic A place to boldy go off topic of Corvette's. almost anything goes!

look at what there steeling now

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 06:34 PM
Ric
Default look at what there steeling now

I was watching the Cleavland news while eating dinner tonight. Theyhad on film2 guys with zasaws stealing converters from a used car lot. They took 30 converters from this lot with est. value over $10000. Wouldn't it be less work just to goto work then to crawl under all those cars? They were taking cooper pipe now this I just don't get it.
Ric W.

Old 01-08-2008, 04:32 AM
Default RE: look at what there steeling now

I can understand collecting scrap copper, last time I took some in it was $2.50 -$3.00/lb. What is in the converters that makes it worth scrapping?

Old 01-08-2008, 05:01 AM

Titanium is what they are after in the converters. It is a small amount but very expensive material. Scrap metal is a very lucrative business these days!!!

Old 01-08-2008, 07:59 AM
Super Moderator

I work at a metal fab plant. One of our other plants had over $40,000 of copper sheeting stolen. It looks like an inside job. The local power company and several contractors have had miles of copper wiring and copper pipe stolen. [:@]

Old 01-08-2008, 08:27 AM

In Detroit the people are breaking into closed down and dipladated buildings gutting them of wire, copper piping, plumbing fixtures or anything that will bring a dollar. Some are even bold enough to target homes and businesses when they are not occupied for even a couple of hours!! Seems the economyis deteriorating to this point. Remember H. Ross Perot and his prediction of "hearing a giant sucking sound" when we allowed free trade in the United States? Quite the seer or just a wise "Bussiness Man"?!!

Old 01-08-2008, 04:42 PM

You got that right! Its getting really crazy here in Alabama too. I'm an electrician here and Just a couple months ago I went to the local supply warehouse and heard that man came in earlier to purchase new PVC pipe and 100ft of copper wire to replace an underground service in a lady's front yard. Someome DUG UP HER FRONT YARD in the middle of THE NIGHT![] They dug 2ft down and ripped out the service. IT WAS HOT!!. Thats just crazy. I hope the next job french fries' em. [:@]
Believe it or not, that day,I was going to a job at a local Texaco gas station where some other idiots cut the main incoming power. They must have touched thier cutters on the side of the meter box b/c it was all charred on the side. There was a 5 inch burn spot on the housing. They thought that they were smart by smashing the digital meter face.IDIOTS!!![8D] They should be dead or at the hospital. Not property was stolen or windowsbroke. They would have been smarter to throw a brick through the window.[8D] IDIOTS!![8D]
What can ya do?[>:] [&:]

Old 01-08-2008, 05:00 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: ZR1clone

You got that right! Its getting really crazy here in Alabama too. I'm an electrician here and Just a couple months ago I went to the local supply warehouse and heard that man came in earlier to purchase new PVC pipe and 100ft of copper wire to replace an underground service in a lady's front yard. Someome DUG UP HER FRONT YARD in the middle of THE NIGHT![] They dug 2ft down and ripped out the service. IT WAS HOT!!. Thats just crazy. I hope the next job french fries' em. [:@]
Believe it or not, that day,I was going to a job at a local Texaco gas station where some other idiots cut the main incoming power. They must have touched thier cutters on the side of the meter box b/c it was all charred on the side. There was a 5 inch burn spot on the housing. They thought that they were smart by smashing the digital meter face.IDIOTS!!![8D] They should be dead or at the hospital. Not property was stolen or windowsbroke. They would have been smarter to throw a brick through the window.[8D] IDIOTS!![8D]

What can ya do?[>:] [&:]

My favorite.........Shoot on site!

Old 01-09-2008, 04:15 AM
cwb

Catalytic convertors have platinum in them.

Cats for 18 wheelers are $7,000

Old 01-09-2008, 06:22 AM

You're right cw, my mistake it is platinum. Too much golf (titanium) on my mind!!

Old 01-09-2008, 11:53 AM
Ric

yes the news said it was Platinum they also claimed the thieves would get $60.00 each for the converters. I would think a scrap yard would question somebody bringing in 30 converters.
I also checked the price to replace mine sense cwb brought up the price for the 18 wheelers.
very exp for 2 they were well over a 1,000 dollars.

Quick Reply: look at what there steeling now