Off Topic A place to boldy go off topic of Corvette's. almost anything goes!

New York Hero

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 04:31 PM
Default New York Hero

With so many negative stories in the new these days I figured I'd post a story with a happy ending: Click_Here

Old 01-03-2007, 04:42 PM
Default RE: New York Hero

Wow, all I can say is that that guy had the smarts to do that. I'm not sure I would have thought to get in the middle. Well congrats to the Hero

Old 01-03-2007, 07:00 PM

Thats funny
I was just reading this article when I seen your post here.

Sounds like he made a split decision there, and risked his own life in doing so. And i can't say i would have reacted the same, but this guy deserves all the praise and honors he receives.

Old 01-03-2007, 10:19 PM

An Excellent story and I would also add that it wouldve been a VERY hard decision to make with two young daughters standing right beside you. I probably would not have made the same decision. But, I am very glad to hear that there are people out there unlike myself that would help someone in need.

Matt

Old 01-04-2007, 02:27 AM
Super Moderator

That is great. He truly is a hero. I saw this on the news last night. they should give him some kind of award for his quick thinking and courage. Things like this makes me think there is still hope for the "human condition". I salute him.

Old 01-04-2007, 02:29 PM

Man
i seen it on the news last night also, and they showed this illustration how he jumped on the guy and covered him, while they were laying under the car as it passed. according to the reports, there was 1/2" clearance between him and the car.
I wish I could say i would honestly do the same thing.

Old 01-04-2007, 08:07 PM

Here is part of another article I just read where he recaps the event:

Autrey gave this account: He was in the station in upper Manhattan on Tuesday afternoon when Hollopeter, also waiting on the platform, seemed to collapse during a seizure. Autrey used a pen to get Hollopeter's tongue out of his throat. Hollopeter stood up, then staggered and fell between the tracks.

As the train neared, Autrey pinned Hollopeter in the trough by lying on top of him, face to face. But the student kept struggling. "Don't move!" Autrey said. "Or one of us is going to lose a leg."

Subway car brakes screeched. One car passed overhead, then a second. Then came silence, followed by the wailing from the platform of his daughters, who'd just seen their father run over.

"We're OK," Autrey yelled to bystanders on the platform. "I got two daughters up there. Let 'em know their father's OK!"

"Who are you?" asked Hollopeter.

"Someone who saved your life," replied Autrey.

They waited 20 minutes until technicians turned off power on the subway's high-voltage third rail and were helped out.

Here is the entire article: Click_Here

Old 01-05-2007, 01:21 AM

Thanks, Lamont!
What an uplifting story. I don't think this story made it in any of the west coast papers. Too bad . . . what a great guy!

Old 01-05-2007, 01:39 AM
Super Moderator

This guy is on Letterman tonight. That's cool.

Old 01-05-2007, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator

There are a lot of "Heros" among us, it's good to see the media recognize one!

Quick Reply: New York Hero