Off Topic A place to boldy go off topic of Corvette's. almost anything goes!

Observations of Ownership

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 01:03 PM
Default Observations of Ownership

I'm relatively new corvette owner (March 06) and have observed several things since I bought it. The first and foremost observation; everybody, and I mean everybody; from chevettes to old Ford 150 pick-up trucks, want to race! When on my Hayabusa motorcycle, I get side glances but rarely does a cage ever want to give the bus a go. In the vette, it seems that every person takes personal affront that I am lined up next to them at a light and they must show me how fast their neon is! I'm a rather mature and responsible person, but I can't help myself my smoking their asses. Does that make me a bad person? I have not yet had a real sports car line up with me yet, but I have seen several GTO owners drool and look for a quick turnaround point when they see me go past. One of my Soldiers has an STi and he is praying for the day he catches me on the open road or at a light.

I know my behavior may be construed as juvenile and immature but I really love my vette and it's capabilities (which are far above mine). I know there are bigger and badder machines out there with bigger and badder drivers, but I really just can't let that 1976 El Dorado go home bragging to his buddies that he smoked my vette. I have no issues like this on my motorcycles. I wonder why it's different in my car?

Does anyone else notice this kind of thing?

Old 06-14-2006, 10:47 AM
Default RE: Observations of Ownership

I don't know if people want to see if they can beat the Vette, or just want to see what the car do do, knowing that they don't have a chance in the world. Since I have had my Vette the only competition that I have raced was a old Maverick a few Sundays ago. I won that race buy he gave me a pretty good run.

Old 07-08-2006, 06:07 AM

I used to own an Eldo (97).......dang cheek It was a fine car!

No one ever wanted to race my Eldo! They used to avoid me, probably assumed that I was the wrong side of 80!

Everyone wants to race my C6 and my Porsche. I usually simply ignore them as they are not serious contenders.

A few weeks ago I was in my Porsche and this hot chick in a C6 wanted to race me from the lights.....so what the heck......decent competition! The Porsche won by a length, until we both had to hit the brakes to turn into our driveway........turned out the hot chick was the wife!

Old 07-12-2006, 02:45 PM

Yeah, everyone wants to race, and there is nothing wrong with that as long as you don't RACE. I've known idiots who won't give it up until over 140 on city streets -- that is grand stupidity. But just a little tussle off the line up to, say to 10-15 over the speed limit usually won't get you into trouble if you watch yourself.

Problem you will discover is that there are cars that will really be a challenge, and even smoke you every once in a while - sleepers: the apparently stock Mustang Cobra running a 12 lb pulley on its SC and putting 570 Hp to the rear wheels, or an old Nissan 240SX with an cammer LS6 in it. It happens . . . and when it becomes clear it is going to be a long hard race, win or lose, the only thing to do is shut down, even if it hurts the ego. So be prepared to put brains before testosterone any time you street race -- as an example, the same thing happened to me in the Porsche - an older, much modified BMW M3 challenged me at a light a month ago - my Porsche is not that fast (its does 1/4 times consistently without wheelspin at 13.5 -- never faster or slower ) but this mid 90's M3 should not have been that fast. We came off at a stoplight even - I put a length on him by 40 and then he gained it back by 60 -- at that point I did the sensible thing and shut down then -- getting too serious for a street race.

Old 07-12-2006, 06:46 PM

that is well put lee,take it to the track guys,all it takes is a car or motorcycle or person to pull out in front of you and ther is a mess,street racing is ok on a back road with no cars or houses,think before you race,a stray animal will mess your day up very quick.just be smart thats all

Old 07-12-2006, 06:47 PM

that is well put lee,take it to the track guys,all it takes is a car or motorcycle or person to pull out in front of you and ther is a mess,street racing is ok on a back road with no cars or houses,think before you race,a stray animal will mess your day up very quick.just be smart thats all

[IMG]local://upfiles/1664/BAC523BD5B70422C876F44821BB5B960.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1664/4DFCD232C0C84B70B78BFCAACAE2CB76.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-21-2006, 04:40 PM

I know exactly what you are talkin' about C4 Silver Guy!! I refuse to be engaged in that stuff myself, but man alive... it takes a whole wheelbarrow full of restraint!!!

The other day on the way home on the highway, some idiot in a real beatup 318i piece 'o junk tried to get into it with me. He was dartin' around like AJ Foyt, behind me, in front of me, back behind me... trying real hard to goad me into lettin' the beast LOOSE! I just smiled. Sometimes I think just having confidence in knowing is enough... for me, at least.

But, I completely hear you on that. And I'd be an absolute liar if I said I never dropped the hammer on the beast. I just don't put me or our beloved 'Vette in danger....

Anyways, cool thread! I enjoyed it immensely.

Old 08-01-2006, 06:35 PM

I generally don't RACE. I will take off quick enough to know they never had a chance in the first place and then throttle it down. I've been a responsible sportbike rider for years to know enough not to open it up on the street. Not worth dying for or having someone else killed for an ego stroke.

Old 08-01-2006, 06:48 PM

ORIGINAL: C4 Silver Guy

I generally don't RACE. I will take off quick enough to know they never had a chance in the first place and then throttle it down. I've been a responsible sportbike rider for years to know enough not to open it up on the street. Not worth dying for or having someone else killed for an ego stroke.
*nods emphatically* I totally agree. Besides of which, takin' on a Neon is akin to takin' an elephant gun to a flea party... kinda a lil' one-sided, really. That really falls into the "what the hell were you thinkin'??" category of things, eh??

Old 08-01-2006, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator

I've had a few monster muscle cars and I found one thing that works just as well as blowin' the other guys doors off. When I get a challenge, I look 'em over then smile. (I'll even lean over to get a better look) Next they usually rev their engine, I look at the driver an' smile. With each challenge increase my humorous reaction to a visible laugh ( they can't hear me laugh, and most times I don't laugh, just look like I am). Then when the light changes he blows the dust off the road, I pull away nice and slow, slower than normal. Some times they'll be at the next light. That's when I pull up laughing. I can see it in their faces, a big question is on their mind, how bad is this car I'm tryin' to race. They lose when you make them think they can't win! I can hear them thinkin' This guy ain't goin' to waist his gas on my POS. In short, you beat them mentally. In their mind you just stomped a mud hole in 'em and then stomped it dry.

If you want to get serious, me me at a track. Straight or roundy-round (this is where I'm leathal)!

Quick Reply: Observations of Ownership