Off Topic A place to boldy go off topic of Corvette's. almost anything goes!

Observations of Ownership

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 09:40 PM
Default RE: Observations of Ownership

Absolutely correct, Starship. The thing to remember guys is that you can really get to the other person by being this cool. They are not even worthy -- that really digs at them. Deep down inside they know you will clobber them.

And some of it is a complement, of sorts: part of the reason that some of the hopeless cases want to race is just to see your car in action: the kid in the 10-year old Civic with the fart-muffler really knows he has no chance, but he just wants to see "a real car" blast off and if he can provoke you into lighting your bottle rocket, its fun for him -- something better than racing his best friend driving his Mom's Camry again.

Old 08-01-2006, 10:45 PM

ORIGINAL: C3 Starship

I've had a few monster muscle cars and I found one thing that works just as well as blowin' the other guys doors off. When I get a challenge, I look 'em over then smile. (I'll even lean over to get a better look) Next they usually rev their engine, I look at the driver an' smile. With each challenge increase my humorous reaction to a visible laugh ( they can't hear me laugh, and most times I don't laugh, just look like I am). Then when the light changes he blows the dust off the road, I pull away nice and slow, slower than normal. Some times they'll be at the next light. That's when I pull up laughing. I can see it in their faces, a big question is on their mind, how bad is this car I'm tryin' to race. They lose when you make them think they can't win! I can hear them thinkin' This guy ain't goin' to waist his gas on my POS. In short, you beat them mentally. In their mind you just stomped a mud hole in 'em and then stomped it dry.

If you want to get serious, me me at a track. Straight or roundy-round (this is where I'm leathal)!
Every time I read one of yer posts, my friend, it brings a huge smile to this face!

*standing ovation* Well put! That's sorta what I was tryin' to say, myself, just didn't manage to do as good a job as you!!

ORIGINAL: Lee Willis

Absolutely correct, Starship. The thing to remember guys is that you can really get to the other person by being this cool. They are not even worthy -- that really digs at them. Deep down inside they know you will clobber them.

And some of it is a complement, of sorts: part of the reason that some of the hopeless cases want to race is just to see your car in action: the kid in the 10-year old Civic with the fart-muffler really knows he has no chance, but he just wants to see "a real car" blast off and if he can provoke you into lighting your bottle rocket, its fun for him -- something better than racing his best friend driving his Mom's Camry again.
Bingo. I totally agree Lee. I didn't actually put all this together until recently, but yeh... I kinda wandered back in my mind to an earlier time in my life, and remembered I really love to watch a fast car launch... Lord knows I prolly provoked a couple dudes in 'Vette's myself back in the day...

So, yeh, if I could have the old me tryin' to goad on the new me... I'd think the old me was an idiot. Actually, to many I still am an idiot.

Old 08-02-2006, 01:55 AM
Super Moderator

ROFL,ROFL!!! I'......m........sorry, but mom's Camry got me!

Old 08-02-2006, 02:21 AM

I have to add in case y'all don't know...I'm a 40+ y.o. woman AND I get all these teens with their lil ricer/weed eater muffler sounding cars (that's what my daughter calls em) that pull up next to me wanting to race hehe! like I'm really going to race them, I just pull off slower than normal & smile. Right after I got the car, I was at my daughter's high school with all these kids round it & this guy was trying his best to get me to "burn out" in the parking lot, he pulled out a dollar & told me he'd pay me a dollar to do it. I just laughed & told him to keep his dollar because he needed it a lil more than I did! I kno that sounds kinda mean, but he was really being a cocky jerk so it shut him up...poor kid!

Old 08-02-2006, 03:07 AM
Super Moderator

At $300.00+ a tire for the fat 40-17's just a simple bunout cost more than any weedeater with seats. Jerks at lights?....thats why most local tracks have grudge maches. pay your entry fee,,,,burn the tires,,,,go home safe.

Old 08-02-2006, 03:22 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: percentages

I used to own an Eldo (97).......dang cheek It was a fine car!

No one ever wanted to race my Eldo! They used to avoid me, probably assumed that I was the wrong side of 80!

I owned an old '72 eldo...sweeeet ride. land yacht. had 8.2(501)punched 30 over shaved decks and milled heads ported, pollished and spit shined with flattops. had to run JP4 108-115 oct. in it. Smoked a lot of vettes and mustangs. they could get me in the 8th but once that tub got rollin and the tires stoped spinnin' it was ....Laaatta' duuude. 7200lbs of leather covered luxureous muscle. talk about a sleeper.

Old 08-02-2006, 04:02 PM

ORIGINAL: 06 Vette

I have to add in case y'all don't know...I'm a 40+ y.o. woman AND I get all these teens with their lil ricer/weed eater muffler sounding cars (that's what my daughter calls em) that pull up next to me wanting to race hehe! like I'm really going to race them, I just pull off slower than normal & smile. Right after I got the car, I was at my daughter's high school with all these kids round it & this guy was trying his best to get me to "burn out" in the parking lot, he pulled out a dollar & told me he'd pay me a dollar to do it. I just laughed & told him to keep his dollar because he needed it a lil more than I did! I kno that sounds kinda mean, but he was really being a cocky jerk so it shut him up...poor kid!
I'da done the exact same thing. I usually tell folks, "Sure, you buy me a new set of booties, an' I'll light 'em right up for ya." That quiets things down purdy quick... seems everyone is full of ways to try to get you to do it, but when it comes to droppin' $1K+ on rubber, they all of a sudden aren't that interested anymore....

Old 08-23-2006, 01:25 PM

Just had to tell you my racing story. Guess it was about 20 years ago. I was driving my 61 vette everyday. One particular Friday night I was sitting at the stop light on the main drag. The kids that were in the other car , kept patting the dash board for the take off. I started out at my regular speed and was cruising at 35 miles an hour. My daughter called me in about 30 minutes said she was at the mall and two boys were telling everyone how they blew the 61 vette off the road in their little pedal car. Daughter spoke up and ask was the vette red and white and a older lady driving. They said yeah, that was her, daughter promptly told them they must have been driving 36 miles an hour and I drove wide open at 35 always. I can imagine they must have told their story forever of how they blew away the vette.

Old 08-24-2006, 01:56 PM

ORIGINAL: CORVETTE LADY

Just had to tell you my racing story. Guess it was about 20 years ago. I was driving my 61 vette everyday. One particular Friday night I was sitting at the stop light on the main drag. The kids that were in the other car , kept patting the dash board for the take off. I started out at my regular speed and was cruising at 35 miles an hour. My daughter called me in about 30 minutes said she was at the mall and two boys were telling everyone how they blew the 61 vette off the road in their little pedal car. Daughter spoke up and ask was the vette red and white and a older lady driving. They said yeah, that was her, daughter promptly told them they must have been driving 36 miles an hour and I drove wide open at 35 always. I can imagine they must have told their story forever of how they blew away the vette.
Sweet Mary and Jesus.... LOL...