Off Topic A place to boldy go off topic of Corvette's. almost anything goes!

Question for the Vette crowd

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 12:40 PM
Default Question for the Vette crowd

How come 95% of Vette guys are over 50?Serious.i was driving my car adn I look over and who do I see.This guy was adjusting his dentures.Grossed me out. But whats the age on you pappa chulas...[8D]

Old 04-15-2007, 01:12 PM
Default RE: Question for the Vette crowd

I would say cost is a major factor. Most who want one can't afford one. It also might be the "mid-life crisis" car.

I dunno. I'm 37, not in any kind of crisis, and have all my teeth.

But I'll drive next to a 50 year old vet owner any day of the week.

Old 04-15-2007, 01:45 PM

53 with dentures .what is your point

Old 04-15-2007, 02:35 PM

I (and GM's sales stats) both agree: most vette owners are in their 50s.

I think there are several reasons. First, the cars are rather expensive, and generally new ones require someone with pretty stable financial situation to afford them.

Second, (and no offense to the younger crowd) but a bit of maturity helps in driving (and insuring) them and definately in keeping them. Most older guys I know buy and keep the car a long time. Whereas every younger (than 22 years) owner I have known ended up either wrecking it badly, losing his license, or selling it because insurance and operating cost were too much -- all usually within a fairly short time. Thus, the car tends to "filter out" younger owners so you don't see too many of them.

Third, I doubt the car is much of a mid-life crisis car for a 50 year old (from observation including having been there but not done that, you're usually beyond that by your 50s -- mid-life crisis is more a 40s thing).But I think a type of age-specificthing is operating here: a lot of50 year old guys "treat themselves to a toy"in a way they would not when younger.
I'm a case in point all around. I wanted a vette - specifically a silver 427 coupe in fact, since 1966. But I had tobuild an life and pay a mortgage and put three sons through college, and although I probably could have squeezed one in years earlier, the money was needed for other things and it would have gotten in the way of more important goals.
At age 53, I finally could both afford the cost of a new 'vette (when I walked into the dealer I didn't really care at all what the thing would cost, I knew I could afford anything Chevy made, and I was going home with a silver 'vette) but most critically, I knew that indulging myself with such a "toy" would no longer stand in the way of any of my life's really important goals: after 30 years of paying the bills for other people, it was finally my turn.
I think GM sells a whole lot of 'vettes for exactly that reason.

Old 04-15-2007, 08:29 PM

ORIGINAL: YOTONY

How come 95% of Vette guys are over 50?Serious.i was driving my car adn I look over and who do I see.This guy was adjusting his dentures.Grossed me out. But whats the age on you pappa chulas...[8D]
Im 22 so your 95% is now invalid. What do you drive and whats ur age.

Old 04-16-2007, 11:36 AM

I'm 37 and I drive a 98 C5. This is my first Vette, and I intend to make a stepping stone into a newer C6Vette. I think Vette owners are a little older for several reasons. One is the cost, insurance and maturity. But other factors are, that a Vette is not a family car. I could own a GTO, Mustang GT, Charger, Firebird, Trans Am, etc. and still carry children, and family around. With a Corvette your options are limited. I am married with three kids, and my Vette is a toy, a joy ride car. I have a company vehicle to drive back and forth to work (saves $200 a month in gas). Then anytime the family goes anyware we can not take the Corvette, needless to say it does not get driven much (helps keep the miles down and the value up). It makes it kind of an expensive toy for most people to justify.

Old 04-17-2007, 12:23 AM

I am currently 25 and purchased my Vette when I was 23. It was something that I dreamed about since I was a little kid and after buying my house I thought it was only right to get my Vette. Now I am about to allow history to repeat itself, so hopefully by the end of the year I will have sold both my house and Vette in exchange for a bigger house and '08 Vette.

Old 04-17-2007, 02:51 PM

ORIGINAL: Lee Willis

I (and GM's sales stats) both agree: most vette owners are in their 50s.

I think there are several reasons. First, the cars are rather expensive, and generally new ones require someone with pretty stable financial situation to afford them.

Second, (and no offense to the younger crowd) but a bit of maturity helps in driving (and insuring) them and definately in keeping them. Most older guys I know buy and keep the car a long time. Whereas every younger (than 22 years) owner I have known ended up either wrecking it badly, losing his license, or selling it because insurance and operating cost were too much -- all usually within a fairly short time. Thus, the car tends to "filter out" younger owners so you don't see too many of them.

Third, I doubt the car is much of a mid-life crisis car for a 50 year old (from observation including having been there but not done that, you're usually beyond that by your 50s -- mid-life crisis is more a 40s thing).But I think a type of age-specificthing is operating here: a lot of50 year old guys "treat themselves to a toy"in a way they would not when younger.
I'm a case in point all around. I wanted a vette - specifically a silver 427 coupe in fact, since 1966. But I had tobuild an life and pay a mortgage and put three sons through college, and although I probably could have squeezed one in years earlier, the money was needed for other things and it would have gotten in the way of more important goals.
At age 53, I finally could both afford the cost of a new 'vette (when I walked into the dealer I didn't really care at all what the thing would cost, I knew I could afford anything Chevy made, and I was going home with a silver 'vette) but most critically, I knew that indulging myself with such a "toy" would no longer stand in the way of any of my life's really important goals: after 30 years of paying the bills for other people, it was finally my turn.
I think GM sells a whole lot of 'vettes for exactly that reason.
Great post! I completely agree.

I really don't care if people think I'm having a "mid-life crisis"... I wanted this car since I was a kid and was lucky enough to be in a situation to acquire it when I turned 40, so, to me this is much more than "a car".

Old 04-17-2007, 03:18 PM

ORIGINAL: TopSpeed

I really don't care if people think I'm having a "mid-life crisis"... I wanted this car since I was a kid and was lucky enough to be in a situation to acquire it when I turned 40, so, to me this is much more than "a car".

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 04-17-2007, 03:36 PM

ORIGINAL: riley

ORIGINAL: TopSpeed

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]
Cheers, bro!!!!

Quick Reply: Question for the Vette crowd