Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site

Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/off-topic-6/)
-   -   ROAD TRIP,...ROAD TRIP!!! (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/off-topic-6/road-trip-road-trip-3216/)

C3 Starship 09-21-2006 02:19 PM

ROAD TRIP,...ROAD TRIP!!!

Hey my friends,:)
Well, My wife and I are takin' off for Portland Or. (About 12 hrs. from here in Reno), and then off to Grangeville, Id. We been plannin' this trip for almost a year. Gonna take 12 days off from the world and it's probs. Gonna see my guitar playin' bud, of 35 years, to do some jammin' in Portland, then off to Idaho to look at some prop and a gold claim. I'm really wound tight and can't wait to hit the road. We're leavin' at 4 am tomorrow. Not takin' the "Starship" this time, we just got too much stuff to take. Music equip, and mining gear. We'll load it all up in my wife's new 4X4 Siverado. There's bound to be a story come out of this trip. When I get back, I'll share with y'all, if ya like.
Gonna miss everybody and will be glad to get back with y'all. But for now, y'all take care and keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down.;)
Dave

PAY2PLAY 09-21-2006 05:00 PM

RE: ROAD TRIP,...ROAD TRIP!!!

Have a good/safe trip Dave. Make sure you take plenty of pictures to go along with the stories you will have for us when you get back.

C3 Starship 09-21-2006 05:13 PM

Hey thanks Lamont,
You bet I will!

blueshark 09-21-2006 06:35 PM

be safe and have fun.

C3 Starship 09-21-2006 06:42 PM

Thanks George!;)

gorichb 09-21-2006 07:25 PM

Have a safe trip
Your heading into a beautiful area, Been there a few times myself.

Bring back some stories, hahaha

C3 Starship 09-21-2006 10:44 PM

Hey Dicky,
Ya, we been there before, thats why we're goin' back!
There outght to be a story comin' alright.;)

CORVETTE LADY 09-22-2006 11:08 AM

Starship, that will be a great trip for you and the mrs. Oh, how I envy you getting on the road to Portland. We are just very southern, small town folk, and hubby was drafted and sent to Fort Lewis, Washington, via Korea in 1963. I still see this beautiful country as we drove across to Tacoma. The only place we got lost on the entire trip was Portland. Still remember all the blue skies, water, and the beautiful snow covered mountains of Mount Hood, and Mount Rainier. Know you all will have lots of good stories when you return. Be safe and looking for you back on board.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2989/39D40B4B650F4CC0B98046BDE0AF50FC.jpg[/IMG]

TopSpeed 09-22-2006 02:18 PM

Dude, we're gonna miss ya somethin' right fierce. Have a safe safe trip, have fun, take a whole boatloat of pictures, and return to us safely with some killer stories! Can't wait for your return, bro.

We'll keep the light on for ya!!!!

Hey, guys, wanna raid Dave's fridge while he's gone?? :D

blueshark 09-23-2006 07:15 AM

fridge hell, I wanna see what he's hidin' in the storage container. oooooohhhh caaaarrr paaarrts!

C3 Starship 10-02-2006 03:22 AM

RE: ROAD TRIP,...ROAD TRIP!!! (I'm Back)

O. K., O. K...............I'M BACK !!!! 9:30 pm, Sunday the 1st.
The fridge was emptied before I left, and the container is locked tight. (besides, my neighbor has a sawed off 12 and is watching my place) I'll write more tomorrow.

C3 Starship 10-02-2006 01:07 PM

Hey Corvette Lady,
Oh Ya, Mt. Hood was beautiful.
We took I-5 up to just above Salem then took 219 into Portland. This is a great road for Vettes. Banked turns back to back for about 25 miles. We followed the Columbia River Gorge East to Pendleton then up to Lewiston, Id. and on to Grangville. Real nice drive, but the speed limit is only 55, so it took us 7 hours to get to Lewiston. Once in Idaho, the limit is 65 but I ran at 75 to Grangeville.
I found out that my wife's 4X4 Silverado w/5sp and 4.3 V-6, preformed very well, all around.

On the way up I-5, we saw 3 "clown shoes", Vipers, cruisin together, and about 10 miles further we saw another seven. I have to admit, they look real nice, all lined up at 80 mph, while swinging around us to pass.

We had a great time, and thanks to all for your send off.
It's going to take a couple of days to organize my thoughts and give y'all a report on the trip. I have lots of pics to share, but will have to get them on disc before I can share them. We had a ball and didn't want to come back.

CORVETTE LADY 10-03-2006 12:33 PM

Starship: Can't wait to read all the wonderful road trip stories. We keep saying that we would drive back across this beautiful country to Seattle someday. Someday has just never gotten here. We were on 2 lane roads most of the way and oh the sights. This will give you an insight as to how things have changed since 1963. We kept a log of all expenses and the total cost traveling from S. C. to Washington state was a total of $126.20. DH and I got out our log a few weeks ago. It was so funny reading our expenses. Fill ups of gas were about 3 and 4 dollars, motels were 6 and 8 dollars. We stopped an bought a used tire in Colorado and it was $4.00. I am almost ashamed to tell you about our food. In the back seat of the old 56, we had a grocery bag of potted meat, vienna sausage, and bread. To this day, we will not eat potted meat. Think hubby pay was about $127.00 a month for an E-5. Not sure if any parts of 1-40 were complete at that time. We could not get out of sight of our current home for $126.20, and since we don't eat potted meat anymore, I'm sure our cost would be quite a bit. Can't wait to hear your stories. Here's waving to you.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2989/3A854402F52A4131ADC50A5FF84BBB0E.jpg[/IMG]

C3 Starship 10-03-2006 09:05 PM

Gee,.............thanks Lady[&o]. Gas fill ups were around $50, and rooms were $58. Well it is 2006, not 1963. I don't understand, it's only been 43 years.:eek: Oh...well!
We had a great time anyway.;)
Going through Northern Ca. and Western Or. was beautiful, and we didn't have any bad weather 'till we got about 25 miles from home on the way back.
The drive up the Coumbia River Gorge was spectacular! Eastern Oregon is a lot like Nevada, dry, hot, and not much greenery. I won't have my pics back 'till the 5th, so I will wait on some stories 'till then, so I can narate some pics.
Potted meat?, no, we had chips, Gator-aid, candybars, and regular stops for lunch and din-din. We don't do Duckmonalds, Windy's, or Ber-gerking, the small town coffee shop was just fine.
What was I-40 is now I-80.
Wavin' right back at cha Lady!;)

(Scotty, you can turn the light off now)

C3 Starship 10-05-2006 02:52 PM

While driving up a mountain road, we came across a Black Bear runnin' down the road. "Where's the camera honey?", "You put it behind the seat", "Sh*t!!!"! We followed him for about 50 yds then he took off up the hillside, stopped once to look back at us, and then disappeared into the forest. What a beautiful animal!!!

I was walking down a stream, that runs through a gold claim I was looking at, a Grouse flew up about 3' from me. Having just seen the bear, I thought the worst, scared the crap right out of me. He only flew about 10' and perched on a downed tree. Got that suka's pic, nice and close. He just sat there and let me walk up within about 6' and take his pic.

TopSpeed 10-10-2006 03:44 PM

ORIGINAL: C3 Starship

Gee,.............thanks Lady[&o]. Gas fill ups were around $50, and rooms were $58. Well it is 2006, not 1963. I don't understand, it's only been 43 years.:eek: Oh...well!
Going through Northern Ca. and Western Or. was beautiful, and we didn't have any bad weather 'till we got about 25 miles from home on the way back.
The drive up the Coumbia River Gorge was spectacular! Eastern Oregon is a lot like Nevada, dry, hot, and not much greenery. I won't have my pics back 'till the 5th, so I will wait on some stories 'till then, so I can narate some pics.
Potted meat?, no, we had chips, Gator-aid, candybars, and regular stops for lunch and din-din. We don't do Duckmonalds, Windy's, or Ber-gerking, the small town coffee shop was just fine.

Did I leave it on again??

Oh, by the way, George and I did NOT touch the liquor cabinet. It was, a, uh... mad... badger. :D

TopSpeed 10-10-2006 03:44 PM

Hey, bro, how good WAS the trip?? You didn't call once for bail.... :D

Can't wait to see some photos there, my friend!! [8D]

C3 Starship 10-10-2006 04:37 PM

ORIGINAL: TopSpeed

Oh, by the way, George and I did NOT touch the liquor cabinet. It was, a, uh... mad... badger. :D
I always load the booze, that I leave "out", with ex-lax. Now why were you gone for sooo long, about the time I get back???..........bager huh?................Hello Bager! (feeling better now are we?)

A little game I used to play, called "Catch The Teenager"!

TopSpeed 10-10-2006 05:39 PM

I always load the booze, that I leave "out", with ex-lax. Now why were you gone for sooo long, about the time I get back???..........bager huh?................Hello Bager! (feeling better now are we?)

A little game I used to play, called "Catch The Teenager"!

Good Lord, that would explain the exhuberant bathroom visits. I thought it was the damned buritto's you left out on the counter..... :D:D:D:D

C3 Starship 10-10-2006 05:54 PM

Ahhh..... man......,No wonder the bird's missin', the burittos were for the cat!:eek:

TopSpeed 10-10-2006 08:14 PM

Ahhh..... man......,No wonder the bird's missin', the burittos were for the cat!:eek:
*thumps on desk* Bwahahahah!! Youse guys must have one spicy cat there, bro!

C3 Starship 10-10-2006 09:12 PM

*thumps on desk* Bwahahahah!! Youse guys must have one spicy cat there, bro!
Don't call 'im "Spun-nik" for nothin'. One buritto, when using afterburner, is good for
three trips around the living room, at hip level, 4 or 5 mad dashes up and down the hall, and then collapse in the middle of the kitchen, in a pile of smoking fur! O. K., O. K............The cat doesn't
really eat burittos.

TopSpeed 10-12-2006 02:13 PM

Don't call 'im "Spun-nik" for nothin'. One buritto, when using afterburner, is good for
three trips around the living room, at hip level, 4 or 5 mad dashes up and down the hall, and then collapse in the middle of the kitchen, in a pile of smoking fur!

*snarfs coffee on monitor* BWAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHA!! Now, THERE'S a funny mental picture!!! :D:D:D:D:D

O. K., O. K............The cat doesn't really eat burittos.

Rats. I thought we mighta had an idea for a new TV show just there... I guess I'll call the SPCA later today, to see if they have an buritto munchin' kitties in stock. :D

C3 Starship 10-12-2006 11:25 PM

We went out for breakfast and dinner every day. My wife liked that.
I drink milk after every meal, ya know, even after writing it down, a waitress will forget the milk. [:o]
I'm an old country boy, and I love my cow squeezin's. I was darned near raised on fresh whole milk.
What is this 2% low fat, wimpy white water? Sometimes I'll get a carton of whipping cream and slam that suka right down.;)

C3 Starship 10-20-2006 02:40 PM

I have some photos of my Gold claim, and have loaded them into "Photo bucket", but haven't figured out how to get them on the forum yet. I'll post them as soon as I figure it out.

C3 Starship 10-24-2006 10:40 AM

3 Attachment(s)
O. K.....Many thanks to blueshark, I finally got it .:)
I'm looking to get 1 or 2 claims in Idaho. These are pics of the first claim I looked at.
This is me at the upstream end of a claim. I'm preparing to walk the claim.
Attachment 2874
Now, this is why I love it so much. I can camp, fish and hunt, without reservations. Of course, prospect for gold too.
Attachment 2875
In the upper left, is the corner marker for the downstream end of the claim. This particular claim is 900' wide and 1800' long.
Attachment 2876
Thanks again George!;)

(I'll post some more later.)

C3 Starship 10-24-2006 01:38 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Not far from Cottonwood Id., is this Bed and Breakfast.

Attachment 2869

The bedroom is in his snout, with the kitchen at his front shoulders, and the living room in his body.

Attachment 2870

This photo shows the stairs that go up the back leg and to the body where you enter.

Everything at this table is hand carved wood.

Attachment 2871

The town of Winchester Id.

Attachment 2872

Attachment 2873

CORVETTE LADY 10-24-2006 03:20 PM

Hey Starship: Wow, the bed and breakfast, who would have thunk it. Love all the pictures. Gotta a question, can't remember which state we were in going across the country. Think Wyoming or Colorado, on the two lane we were traveling in the 60's. There were miles and miles of old autos set upright on the side of the road. Realize that they have rusted away by now, but was just curious as to the meaning of all the old cars on the road. Keep the pictures headed our way. Here's WAVING TO YOU.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2989/069800BAEDBB475D99DEAA1D4E65938E.jpg[/IMG]

C3 Starship 10-24-2006 03:30 PM

I've been across from Nev. to Kansas several times, but was on I-80 all the way, do you remember what road you were on when you saw all the cars? I did see some old cars in Neb., on the North side of I-80.

CORVETTE LADY 10-25-2006 10:49 AM

Hi Starship: I have looked on the internet for maps from the early 1960's with no avail. We were on two lane roads from South Carolina across the states until we got into the Portland area headed to Seattle. I know the states, S. C. , N.C., Tenn, Mo, Colorado, Wyoming, ID, Oregon, and then into Washington. Hope in my old age I didn't leave out a state. Strange that I have the travel log with expenses for the trip but not the map with the route. We had planned to make the trip back, but it would be a little different traveling on the interstate. How fun could that be traveling back in our 61 or 62 vette. That brings up another issue, we have someone coming to look at our cars this weekend. The only one we would consider selling at this time is the 62. Any ideas of prices, would like to have something in my head just in case they get serious about a buy. This is a red car, of course, we will not sell the hardtop, as my 61 is red with the white cove, and we sometimes switch the red hardtop for the white hardtop. Isn't that just like a women, can't make up my mind as to which top I like the best. Anyway, the 62 has the rag top, and the folks coming have already been told that the hardtop does not come with it. The guy already ownes a 62 with a hardtop and said that was not a problem for him. This may not come to pass as we have been using the 62 for the past few months and may not be tempted enough for a sale. Last time I checked they weren't make the 62 vette anymore. Starship, please continue to send us pictures. Here's WAVING TO ALL OF YOU.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2989/38AEC28941F3477A82D2433C72B45D6D.jpg[/IMG]

C3 Starship 10-25-2006 12:10 PM

ORIGINAL: CORVETTE LADY
That brings up another issue, we have someone coming to look at our cars this weekend. The only one we would consider selling at this time is the 62. Any ideas of prices, would like to have something in my head just in case they get serious about a buy. This is a red car, of course, we will not sell the hardtop, as my 61 is red with the white cove, and we sometimes switch the red hardtop for the white hardtop. Isn't that just like a women, can't make up my mind as to which top I like the best. Anyway, the 62 has the rag top, and the folks coming have already been told that the hardtop does not come with it.
Oh.......Lady...........!!!!!!,
You're thinking of selling your '62?[:o] That is the year I've always wanted!;) I see the '62 as a transitional style. It has the 61 front end and the 63 dovetail rear.
I took my first ride in a brand new '58, and fell in love with Vettes.
Price?......Hmmmm................:eek: I've looked at '62's, and just drempt of owning one. They have been going for 60g's PLUS!!!! If you're going to give it away, I'll take it!!! ;) In my opinion, don't take less than 60g's. I assume it is in top shape. All original?, could go higher! Maybe......75g's! If you look around, www.corvettetrader.com ,etc., you should be able to get a reasonable price figured out. If it were to go with "both" tops, add another 5g's.
Wavin' back at cha!!!;)

C3 Starship 10-25-2006 12:33 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Here are some pics of a place that is only about 1/4 mile from my prospective claim.
The place is empty, and I'm going to try to get my hands on it.

Attachment 2864
Attachment 2865
Attachment 2866
Attachment 2867

This is a shot on the way up to the claim.

Attachment 2868

More to come!;)

blueshark 10-26-2006 12:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Testing one...two...three
Attachment 2863

Hey..... It worked again....Man, am I lucky or what?

C3 Starship 10-26-2006 12:47 AM

Hey George,
Thanks for bringing up my future homestead.
I'll try the tip you gave me in the PM.
Dave

blueshark 10-26-2006 01:27 AM

That looks like a great place. would you adopt me? I'll stay in one of the barns and won't eat much, DAD.

C3 Starship 10-26-2006 01:35 AM

:D:D:D You suppose you can teach Coty to pan for gold?:D:D:D....................(son)

blueshark 10-26-2006 01:45 AM

He'll do anything for McNuggets, fries and diet coke. hey McNuggets...Gold nuggets....could have something here. Just have to bring a cat for his off time.

C3 Starship 10-26-2006 01:52 AM

:D:D:D:D:D:D:DWe'll get him a Bob Cat, ya know, something to put a little EXCITMENT in his day.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I tried to reply to the PM. It came back undeliverable. There is a paved road about 100' from the front of the house, with lots of twisties, for about 8 miles.

CORVETTE LADY 10-26-2006 02:26 PM

Starship: Wow, that looks like a great place to spend time. How many corvettes could we park in the buildings on the property?

[IMG]local://upfiles/2989/AD6810A9071247EF80A91F4C6DA6BDF7.jpg[/IMG]

C3 Starship 10-26-2006 03:04 PM

7, and still keep the out house clear.:D:D:D