Off Topic A place to boldy go off topic of Corvette's. almost anything goes!

ROAD TRIP,...ROAD TRIP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 03:22 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: ROAD TRIP,...ROAD TRIP!!! (I'm Back)

O. K., O. K...............I'M BACK !!!! 9:30 pm, Sunday the 1st.
The fridge was emptied before I left, and the container is locked tight. (besides, my neighbor has a sawed off 12 and is watching my place) I'll write more tomorrow.

Old 10-02-2006, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: ROAD TRIP,...ROAD TRIP!!!

Hey Corvette Lady,
Oh Ya, Mt. Hood was beautiful.
We took I-5 up to just above Salem then took 219 into Portland. This is a great road for Vettes. Banked turns back to back for about 25 miles. We followed the Columbia River Gorge East to Pendleton then up to Lewiston, Id. and on to Grangville. Real nice drive, but the speed limit is only 55, so it took us 7 hours to get to Lewiston. Once in Idaho, the limit is 65 but I ran at 75 to Grangeville.
I found out that my wife's 4X4 Silverado w/5sp and 4.3 V-6, preformed very well, all around.

On the way up I-5, we saw 3 "clown shoes", Vipers, cruisin together, and about 10 miles further we saw another seven. I have to admit, they look real nice, all lined up at 80 mph, while swinging around us to pass.

We had a great time, and thanks to all for your send off.
It's going to take a couple of days to organize my thoughts and give y'all a report on the trip. I have lots of pics to share, but will have to get them on disc before I can share them. We had a ball and didn't want to come back.

Old 10-03-2006, 12:33 PM

Starship: Can't wait to read all the wonderful road trip stories. We keep saying that we would drive back across this beautiful country to Seattle someday. Someday has just never gotten here. We were on 2 lane roads most of the way and oh the sights. This will give you an insight as to how things have changed since 1963. We kept a log of all expenses and the total cost traveling from S. C. to Washington state was a total of $126.20. DH and I got out our log a few weeks ago. It was so funny reading our expenses. Fill ups of gas were about 3 and 4 dollars, motels were 6 and 8 dollars. We stopped an bought a used tire in Colorado and it was $4.00. I am almost ashamed to tell you about our food. In the back seat of the old 56, we had a grocery bag of potted meat, vienna sausage, and bread. To this day, we will not eat potted meat. Think hubby pay was about $127.00 a month for an E-5. Not sure if any parts of 1-40 were complete at that time. We could not get out of sight of our current home for $126.20, and since we don't eat potted meat anymore, I'm sure our cost would be quite a bit. Can't wait to hear your stories. Here's waving to you.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2989/3A854402F52A4131ADC50A5FF84BBB0E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-03-2006, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator

Gee,.............thanks Lady[&o]. Gas fill ups were around $50, and rooms were $58. Well it is 2006, not 1963. I don't understand, it's only been 43 years. Oh...well!
We had a great time anyway.
Going through Northern Ca. and Western Or. was beautiful, and we didn't have any bad weather 'till we got about 25 miles from home on the way back.
The drive up the Coumbia River Gorge was spectacular! Eastern Oregon is a lot like Nevada, dry, hot, and not much greenery. I won't have my pics back 'till the 5th, so I will wait on some stories 'till then, so I can narate some pics.
Potted meat?, no, we had chips, Gator-aid, candybars, and regular stops for lunch and din-din. We don't do Duckmonalds, Windy's, or Ber-gerking, the small town coffee shop was just fine.
What was I-40 is now I-80.
Wavin' right back at cha Lady!

(Scotty, you can turn the light off now)

Old 10-05-2006, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

While driving up a mountain road, we came across a Black Bear runnin' down the road. "Where's the camera honey?", "You put it behind the seat", "Sh*t!!!"! We followed him for about 50 yds then he took off up the hillside, stopped once to look back at us, and then disappeared into the forest. What a beautiful animal!!!

I was walking down a stream, that runs through a gold claim I was looking at, a Grouse flew up about 3' from me. Having just seen the bear, I thought the worst, scared the crap right out of me. He only flew about 10' and perched on a downed tree. Got that suka's pic, nice and close. He just sat there and let me walk up within about 6' and take his pic.

Old 10-10-2006, 03:44 PM

ORIGINAL: C3 Starship

Gee,.............thanks Lady[&o]. Gas fill ups were around $50, and rooms were $58. Well it is 2006, not 1963. I don't understand, it's only been 43 years. Oh...well!
Going through Northern Ca. and Western Or. was beautiful, and we didn't have any bad weather 'till we got about 25 miles from home on the way back.
The drive up the Coumbia River Gorge was spectacular! Eastern Oregon is a lot like Nevada, dry, hot, and not much greenery. I won't have my pics back 'till the 5th, so I will wait on some stories 'till then, so I can narate some pics.
Potted meat?, no, we had chips, Gator-aid, candybars, and regular stops for lunch and din-din. We don't do Duckmonalds, Windy's, or Ber-gerking, the small town coffee shop was just fine.

Did I leave it on again??

Oh, by the way, George and I did NOT touch the liquor cabinet. It was, a, uh... mad... badger.

Old 10-10-2006, 03:44 PM

Hey, bro, how good WAS the trip?? You didn't call once for bail....

Can't wait to see some photos there, my friend!! [8D]

Old 10-10-2006, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: TopSpeed

Oh, by the way, George and I did NOT touch the liquor cabinet. It was, a, uh... mad... badger.
I always load the booze, that I leave "out", with ex-lax. Now why were you gone for sooo long, about the time I get back???..........bager huh?................Hello Bager! (feeling better now are we?)

A little game I used to play, called "Catch The Teenager"!

Old 10-10-2006, 05:39 PM

ORIGINAL: TopSpeed

I always load the booze, that I leave "out", with ex-lax. Now why were you gone for sooo long, about the time I get back???..........bager huh?................Hello Bager! (feeling better now are we?)

A little game I used to play, called "Catch The Teenager"!
Good Lord, that would explain the exhuberant bathroom visits. I thought it was the damned buritto's you left out on the counter.....

Old 10-10-2006, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator

Ahhh..... man......,No wonder the bird's missin', the burittos were for the cat!

Quick Reply: ROAD TRIP,...ROAD TRIP!!!