Off Topic A place to boldy go off topic of Corvette's. almost anything goes!

We can do it!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 01:38 AM
Super Moderator
Default We can do it!

EXCERPT IS FROM THE COUNTY EMERGENCY MANAGER OUT IN THE CENTRAL PART OF COLORADO AFTER THE NEW YEARS 2007 SNOWSTORM.
[blockquote]

WEATHER BULLETIN

Up here, in the Northern Plains, we just recovered from a Historic event--- may I even say a "Weather Event" of "Biblical Proportions" --- with a historic blizzard of up to 44" inches of snow and winds to 90 MPH that broke trees in half, knocked down utility poles, stranded hundreds of motorists in lethal snow banks, closed ALL roads, isolated scores of communities and cut power to 10's of thousands.

FYI:

George Bush did not come.

FEMA did nothing.

No one howled for the government.

No one blamed the government.

No one even uttered an expletive on TV

Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton did not visit.

Our Mayor did not blame Bush or anyone else.

Our Governor did not blame Bush or anyone else, either.

CNN, ABC, CBS, FOX or NBC did not vis it - or report on this category 5 snowstorm. Nobody demanded $2,000 debit cards.

No one asked for a FEMA Trailer House.

No one looted.

Nobody - I mean Nobody demanded the government do something.

Nobody expected the government to do anything, either.

No Larry King, No Bill O'Rielly, No Oprah, No Chris Mathews and No Geraldo Rivera.

No Shaun Penn, No Barbara Streisand, No Hollywood types to be found.

Nope, we just melted the snow for water.

Sent out caravans of SUV's to pluck people out of snow engulfed cars.

The truck drivers pulled people out of snow banks and didn't ask for a penny.

Local restaurants made food and the police and fire departments delivered it to the snowbound families.

Families took in the stranded people - total strangers.

We fired up wood stoves, broke out coal oil lanterns or Coleman lanterns.

We put on extra layers of clothes because up here it is "Work or Die".

We did not wait for some affirmative action government to get us out of a mess created by being immobilized by a welfare program that trades votes for 'sittin at home' checks.

Even though a Category "5" blizzard of this scale has never fallen this early, we know it can happen and how to deal with it ourselves.

"In my many travels, I have noticed that once one gets north of about 4 5 degrees North Latitude, 90% of the world's social problems evaporate."[/align][/align][/align][/blockquote]

Old 01-11-2007, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: We can do it!

[sm=smiley32.gif]My new boss is from a small town in Misssissippi. After Katrina hit, he and his friends went about their community helping the stranded and elderly.
When this was completed, they took their 4x4s out and played in the mud!
There's something to be said for the closeness of a small community. No goverment help, they took care of their own.

Old 01-11-2007, 12:48 PM

I have to jump in and add my two cents. As a child growing up in the 40's, yes, we as a community took care of our own. We were dirt poor farmers and never did I realize how poor we were until I was older. No handouts for any one of our families in this rural county in the south. There was always food, shelter and lots of love in our home. The food came from us farming the land, and how I remember hog killing day, the shelter was from the old three room house that my great grandfather had built from logs off the land, water was from the well, and we kept warm by the only coal stove in the house. One of my chores was to bring in the kindling and coal each night. No matter who you were or whatever color your skin, we looked out after neighbors, and if you needed food for your family, made sure you had ample for your family. I honestly think this formed how I look upon the world today. I realize I'm a lot older than most of you, but I know that you have heard the stories from your parents and grandparents. The old farm house is no longer there, but when I go back to the site, my mind still thinks of all the days in that wonderful home. It was a mansion in my little eyes in the 40's.

Old 01-11-2007, 02:22 PM

*mad mad applause*

What a fantastic thread!!! I just love stuff like this, the coming together of a community like that to take care of their own. This thread made the hair on the back of my neck stand up, it was so prolific.

Old 01-11-2007, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator

Ya know, Lady, I was raised in a small town. There is somethin' about country folk, that city people never get a grasp on. So much me, me, me, and to hell with the other guy!
Where I grew up, we, as teens, used to poach game for the poor, and the DFG closed an eye to our actions.
I been at the bottom, so to speak, and I could survive it still.
"A country boy can survive!"[sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 01-11-2007, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator

I grew up in the middle of 6 million acers of forest in the socalled north woods of the great state of New York. It was a great life and I wish I could have it back. We had single nite snow falls of 30 to 40 inches all the time. Drifts that would cover the house nearly completely.I remember one year it snowed 13.5 official inches on the 21 of may. Ice storms and earthquakes. The very small community (5 families)allways stuck togather. Homes, food, water, warmth and Love were allways shared. Didn't have time to whine about it, Better get busy or die, Hell nobody even knew we were there, up in the woods. People today would be suprised just what they could survive if they had too.

We are Americans! God bless Americans!

Old 01-12-2007, 10:56 AM

Yep, I love the replies, this proves that people still care about each other. Look at our own little forum, a group of folk that will probably never see each other in this lifetime. But, let one of us get down and you know that all of you folk would be jumping in there to support in whatever way you could. I've seen it on this forum, and its no put on stuff, its the real deal when we reach out to each other. Keep on caring. I am of the belief that is not the amount of dollars in the bank, or toys in the garage that makes a person happy. Its the giving of yourself to others returned to you ten fold. Lord, only knows there wasn't even a garage when I was growing up, that old wagon and King that took us 9 miles into town each Saturday., and the same wagon that took us to church on Sunday. I promise you my life was so filled with joy in those days. Reading your stories does prove that YES WE CAN SURVIVE.

Old 01-12-2007, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator

Hey Lady,
If you would be so kind, I, as well as others, would love to hear some of the stories from those by-gone days of your youth. Put some in the "True Stories of... thread, if you would please!
Dave

Old 01-12-2007, 04:06 PM

*mad mad applause* What a great thread, folks, and fantastic posts by everyone!! I wholeheartedly agree with all your sentiments here.... youse guys are the greatest.

Old 01-12-2007, 11:55 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: C3 Starship

Hey Lady,
If you would be so kind, I, as well as others, would love to hear some of the stories from those by-gone days of your youth. Put some in the "True Stories of... thread, if you would please!
Dave
What's that song?....."I second that emotion..." Love to here stories of life experiance, especialy from a great lady that drives a vintage vette. cool.

Quick Reply: We can do it!