Product Review Section Got something good or bad to say about a particular product for your Corvette?

GARBAGE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 11:00 PM
Default GARBAGE!!!

Air foil, Tornado, Turbanator, Grantelliti adjustable maf, Non custom chips(Hypertech) MAT Relocation, Larger throttle body....350 cannot use all the air they have now and also the thorttle body spacer plate...All expensive garbage and I am sad to say I bought some of this and wasted money. Please do not make the same mistake.

Old 10-28-2006, 01:30 PM
Default RE: GARBAGE!!!

The one I see here and wanted to get is the New MAF sensor from Granatelli,
Hmmmmmmmm

Old 10-28-2006, 05:13 PM

I was talking about the adjustable one tht claims 15 horsepower. No the actual maf sensor is fine. I was just pointing out the outrageious claims they say. I would get one because they come in colors. My stock one still works so its fine with me. None of these but the tornado and turbonator actually hurt performance as they are a restriction.

Old 10-28-2006, 08:36 PM

Oh yea
Ok I read it again, my mistake Black86vette.

Man but I hear ya, there is plenty of "garbage" as you say on the market, i'll be the first to admit I have fell for that crap before, but have learned from it also.
You know when I installed the honker on my Vette, I found this plastic piece inside the throttle body. I couldn't believe it, I imagine it was sold as some kind of Vortec air foil or whatever, but too me that just restricts the stock throttle body even more.
junk, absolutley junk! [:@]

Old 10-28-2006, 09:06 PM

I cant put down on anyone as I was new to vettes but come on. The tornado adds 35 HORSEPOWER. Now if you fall for that you dont deserve a corvette. Its a piece of CHEAP aluminum and it decreases your MPG AND HORSEPOWER BY 10%. If I new who the inventor was I would kick his ***. That is so cruel to sell that and lie that bad. The add said its like a mini turbo. WTF? A turbo FORCES air into your car not twirl it around like a windmill and stupid stuff. Oh well. Thats life. Live and learn I guess. Also has anyone tried those Bosch +4 plugs. GARBAGE GARBAGE GARBAGE. DO NOT BUY THEM. Very expensive and I learned hte hard way. The puck came off in the motor.[:@]. That is cheap. It said it was good to have those 4 electrodes. BS. The ACDelco Rapid Fire is the best IMO.

Old 10-29-2006, 07:45 AM

The turbonator and several others devices like that are notorious. During the 1950s and early 60s some of these (or their equivalent, back then) actually worked -- the idea was to insert the "Tubonator" or whatever it was called between the carburator and the intake manifold. Usually these torbonators were plates about 1/2 inch think meant to sit right under the carb and with a 4-5 inch hole in their middle for the air to flow through with angled blades across the hole that "spun" (hence the "turbo-") the air exiting down from the carb so that it was more turbulent as it entered the intake manifold. The theory was that this promoted the air and fuel mixing well and thus imprved combustion. And these things did improve mixture and therefore performance in some cars under some conditions (usually low RPM part throttle) just a bit. They were legit if not particularly sensible (the performance increase at low RPM was small and they hurt full throttle performance).

But today it is all BS. Modern cars don't have carbs and the air flowing from MAF through the intake manifold to the intake ports has no fuel in it -- fuel is injected at the port -- so a turbonator -- or turdonator as I call them today -- can't do anything, turbulence in the intake manifold will do nothing positive -- so they do nothing but get in the way.

THAT SAID, Granatelli and other brands of MAF and throttle-body upgrades can be very useful, but only if the engine has no other restrictions on its breathing. On stock engines this is questionable but on a modded engine you really do need the big units.

Old 10-29-2006, 06:50 PM

I just descreened my maf. The screens are there to straighten out the air. Thus going against the tornado again. Our intakes are straight. Turning the air does nothing as do the screens. Just a little free mod that gives you some more air. No biggies especially on the
L-T1 and L-T4. As for my L-98 every little bit helps. Also if its free what do I hve to loose.

Old 11-01-2006, 09:30 AM

hmmm good to know!