Ride of the Month Is your ride good enough to be voted ROTM?

Winner for August ROTM

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator
Old 09-17-2007, 06:09 PM
Default RE: Winner for August ROTM

Excellent choice. If only I could pick winning lottery numbers as easily! Congratulations... a very beautiful car indeed.
Wedge
[align=left] [/align]

Old 09-17-2007, 10:34 PM
Super Moderator

Congratulations Scottr65, I love that ride.

Old 09-19-2007, 02:43 PM

Congratulations on ROTM.
[sm=massbounce.gif]

Old 09-20-2007, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator

Here's some detail on Scottr65's red beauty.

Photo Gallery

1965 Corvette Coupe
Rally Red
327 ci
350 hp
4 speed
Factory Air

It has long been a dream of mine to own a 1965 Corvette and a 1965 Harley. The year is rather special in that it is the first year of my life, the last year of the Harley Davidson Panhead, and it is the middle year of what is known as the "mid-year" Corvettes.

In the Summer of '06 my wife and I started discussing the idea of purchasing a '65 Corvette. I knew a little bit about them and realized that I would need to learn a lot before making anyone an offer. Over the next four months I read everything that I could about mid-year Corvettes. During this time I watched a lot of Ebay auctions of '65's.

My wife likes roadsters more than coupes, but she agreed on us finding a coupe. I wanted a fully "numbers matching", driver quality, 327 ci with a minimum of 350 hp. There were a few that matched my criteria, most of which slowly marched up and out of my price range. I would save the good ones for comparison to future offerings.

One that caught my eye, but never met the reserve set by the seller, was a Rally Red coupe with 350 hp and factory air. I waited about a month and then contacted the seller to see if he had sold it yet. He replied that the highest bidder actually wasn't a serious bidder. I said that I was interested in the car for right around what the highest bidder had offered. He said that it was a possibility. Over the next two weeks I had him take over 60 pictures of various parts of the car. I wanted to check the potential rust points, date codes, etc. before I made the 500 mile trek to view the car in person.

I have a friend that owns his own plane and is a super guy. I asked if he would fly me down to the car if I paid for the fuel. He moved a few things around in his schedule and that Friday morning I was standing in front of the car. It was the one! We agreed on a price, filled out the papers and now my wife and I are the proud owners of a piece of sports car history.

We take it out occasionally and enjoy a cruise. We entered it in one local show and it took first place in its class. It's a lot of fun and we enjoy riding as well as talking to those that come up and want to know more about the car.

Thumbnail Image