Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site

Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/)
-   Sights 'N Sounds (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/sights-n-sounds-7/)
-   -   Shelby American (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/sights-n-sounds-7/shelby-american-4378/)

MRDETROITMETAL 12-19-2006 10:02 AM

Shelby American

Now this car may have someting for a Corvette ????

...naw.:D

[IMG]local://upfiles/3189/C55994456DAC4441AEB037CE3F525FD5.jpg[/IMG]

C3 Starship 12-19-2006 10:10 AM

RE: Shelby American

:DYa.........LUNCH!:D

F...found,......O...on,.....R...Road.....D....Dead !
D...Driver.......R...Returned.......O....On....... F.....Foot!:D

wrwalke 12-19-2006 10:36 AM

I'll start by saying that I absolutely love Carroll Shelby and the cars that he has produced over the years (forgiving him for the mid-80's with Chrysler). In fact, my wife gave me an early Xmas present last night, a Shelby autographed litho of his racing career and cars. :D

That said... The mustang is a consumer-grade car, fairly easy to modify. Unfortunately, Ford lost their GT and TA racing roots back in the late 70's, and are now making a car that you can modify into a muscle car. Chevrolet never really forgot their racing lineage, and the performance and handling of the C and Z series Vettes really show it. Consider that the Z series is based on a real LeMans series racing car, the modifications by the racing teams translate directly to the GM production lines.

The Mustang starts at a putrid 210 hp, with the GT coming in at 300. The Ford engineers designed the car to work with those power options. The Shelby engineers (with some help from Saleen) used the 5.4L engine from the Navigator/Expedition and boosted it up to 500hp and 480 ftp-lbs of torque. Nice engine. Oops, we need a different trans to handle the power, throw in a T-56. Oops, the suspension won't handle that much cornering power, re-design the front end. Oops, that throws off the front/rear weight distribution too, stiffen the front end some more to handle being nose-heavy. Throw on a body kit and some retro stripes, and you have a Shelby Mustang.

No matter how good the Shelby engineers are (and they are amazing), they are starting with a 210hp consumer grade $20k car, and trying to build a road beast. GM is starting with a 700-900hp racing car and "turning it down a couple notches" to make it comfortable for road driving. Which would you rather have? Personally, I'd rather have a bottom of the line car based on a real racing team's experience than a $20k Ford with $26k in options bolted in.

bill.

MRDETROITMETAL 12-22-2006 12:48 AM

bill, totally agree with you !!!

I have a Z06, & a Mustang vert, guess which ONE I DRIVE !!!...

Right.

BOW TIE OR NO TIE !!!

CHEVYS RULE THE ROAD...
...& Corvettes r King !!

MRDETROITMETAL 12-22-2006 12:49 AM

FORD =

Fix Or Repair Daily

...but rather have a ford than a toyota !!!!:D

94blackC4 12-22-2006 02:21 AM

Sorry boys, I really do like the paint and I still think a Modded stang with exhaust has a much meaner sound than most vettes.. And i also have to say

F-irst O-n R-ace D-ay - Go Matt Kenseth and the No. 17 FORD!!!

I still do love my vette and almost all vettes (except the C1's, i really dont like the look for some reason.)

Matt

gorichb 12-22-2006 02:29 PM

I admire the art work, Thats it.
I like some of the Fords of old, The bullet proof tranny and the 289 engine. I had a 68 fairlane when i was a kid, Cool lookin car, and ran over 300,000 miles before the engine needed rebuilt.

blueshark 12-22-2006 05:38 PM

Any manufacturer has their good models and bad. A lot of people don't like Mopars. I had a little Duster 340 when I was a kid and that thing would run like a badger in a forestfire with his a$$ on fire. I have two bada$$ chevy's now and severalmuscle packinfords and trying to get an old dodge 413 wedge from a guy right now. I love anything that is quick/fast and well built. especialy if it is old. had a Studibaker Avanti too when I was 14, traded work for it, had a 400 in it and dug ditches in the driveway and left lots of rubber at he road out front.

C3 Starship 12-23-2006 02:59 AM

ORIGINAL: 94blackC4

Sorry boys, I really do like the paint and I still think a Modded stang with exhaust has a much meaner sound than most vettes.. And i also have to say

F-irst O-n R-ace D-ay - Go Matt Kenseth and the No. 17 FORD!!!

I still do love my vette and almost all vettes (except the C1's, i really dont like the look for some reason.)

Matt
Ow... Matt, You really need a Vette Fix!!! Quick, get in your Vette and go like hell, 'til your sences come back!!!:D:D:D

Modded "Stang" sound?[:'(] Wait 'til you hear the "Starship's" new heart beat!;)
Hence the phrase, "Heartbeat of America"![sm=icon_rock.gif]

Hey "Shark",
A Stude, Dude? My parents had one with a straight 8. Went like a bat out of hell!!!

blueshark 12-23-2006 03:34 AM

yup...a 4 speed Avanti. worked all summer for this guy cleaning the 10 acers around his farm house and main barn.Iit was quite the car for a non(legal) driving 14 year old, hence the 7 moving violations when I was 14, That car and the '72Nova. Knew all the State Troopers in our local barreks.