Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here...

Where is your favorite strech of Curves?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 02:54 PM
Default Where is your favorite strech of Curves?

I have not had the pleasure of driving my cars on a track. It got me thinking about my personal track. I always have had a favorite road to get on and take the turns with my Harley or Vette or what ever sports car I might have had. Whats your favorite strech of road in area you are in?

Mine is Highway 74 out of Palm Desert, CA. There is about 12 miles of it that have some nice switchbacks, tight turns ,and little straightawayss to hit the Gas Its Fun! Dont get me wrong its also dangeous, You have to make sure to stay on your side of the road and keep your eyes open for anyone who isnt, but its not a road that people drive without paying attention they would be over the cliff. There are times to go when no one is on the road except another fast car or a street bike like early on Sunday morning where it will be such a rush to run it fast and not have to see one other car.

Old 11-06-2006, 04:43 PM
Default RE: Where is your favorite strech of Curves?

OLD CONCORD-SAILSBURY ROAD. About a mile from my house. All turns. Floor it and hang on for dear life. Only when theres no one else out but its pure country for miles and miles. NO COPS!!! Its a big adrenaline rush for me. I dont say I do this all the time but when I need some fun. Ill take a short spin. Thats the good thing about a vette. Its a real road hugger but it likes to spin out if ya know what I mean.

Old 11-06-2006, 05:31 PM
Super Moderator

Highway 70 through the Sierra Nevada Mountains, in Calif. Turns, switchbacks, short straights, and tunnels (great for hearin' the "Starship" roar). 120+ miles from Portola to Oroville, and fantastic veiws! It's called the Feather River Canyon. You can def get your YAH-YAHs out! I have yet do do it in under 1 hr. 47 min. (personal record) Can't wait to try it when I get the 454 goin'![sm=bounceybounce.gif]

Old 11-06-2006, 10:58 PM

I googled the 70 and found that route your talking about. Wow, it looks sweet Dave. Now I have to figure a way to drive it taking a vacaotion or something. I go North every once in a while I would love to find a way to drive that area. Looks like fun. I know what your time is so I have to see how I do.

I couldnt find the Old Concord Sailsbury RD but being a mile from your house must be sweet.

Old 11-06-2006, 11:51 PM
Super Moderator

Let me tell ya somethin' about 70. I've driven that canyon for over 30 yrs, and know every inch. You best take it easy the first time through.

Oh ya, watch for rocks, and slow down goin' through Quincy. I know the cops, personally. They WILL ruin your day. If you are lucky, you can get through Quincy in 15 min. From Quincy to Portola, there are deer to be found from time to time, especially from sundown 'til sun up. Same stretch of road that killed my Road Runner.[&o]

Another road with some tasty twisties, is Highway 20, East from Nevada City to where it ties in with I-80. If you still need a thrill, Highway 49 from Nevada City, North/East to Sierraville. These are a few of my favorite runs.
I have some more, but try these first.

70 is still my favorite.

If you want to run flat out, I-80 from Reno to all points East. Once you pass the Fallen (95) turn off, stay on I-80, drop the hammer and go for it! It's not how fast you "can" go, it's how fast "will" you go.[sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 11-07-2006, 01:35 AM

Theres a few that come to mind here in Ca.
Hwy 17 to and from Santa Cruz. This stretch will really get your blood pumpin. Traffic is usually heavy but I have hit that stretch several times with very few cars on the road, and let me tell it's one turn after another, Left than right, and right again. You can definately push a Vette to it's Limit around those turns.
Another great drive, and known for it's curves and switchbacks is Hwy 1. Theres a 35 mile stretch from Bodega bay to Santa Cruz, where you can open her up on the straight aways, and really test the G's around the turns. It's such a beatuful drive along the coast it's hard to keep your eyes on the road however... [sm=insomnia.gif]

Old 11-07-2006, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator

Highway 17, oh ya, been there. I used to hang out in Sunnyvale, "The Pit" as the locals call it, when I found that road. Haven't taken it in the "Starship" yet. Highway 1 is pretty challenging too. I've driven it for the views.

Old 11-07-2006, 12:49 PM

Thanks for the good advice on where the cops and deer. Sorry about that Roadrunner. That must of hurt. I would just have fun and see how long it did take me. I have one place I go to a lot on my Harley to meet up with friends, it takes about 2 and a half hours normally in the car, but on the bike I got it done in just under two. Cant split traffic in a Vette. What are these cars for if we don't use them. I am going to plan a trip and visit friends I have in Oregon and Washingtion and tke the long way. Maybe go to Tahoe, then hit the 70 coming back toward Oregon, its got to be pure Heaven driving all those roads. I do have to be carefull on how fast I do go or where I do it. I got that 99 mile per hour ticket in Oregon last year and can't afford too many of them before they ****** my licence. Too bad its not like Japan, in that new Fast and Furious movie if you are going over a certain speed they won't chase you because they figure they cant catch you.

Old 11-07-2006, 01:09 PM
Super Moderator

I assume you'll go to Tahoe by going up 50. At the wye, in South Lake tahoe, take 89 North along the west shore. Nice drive around Emerald Bay.
If you stay on 89 north, It will take you to 70, at Grayeagle. 70 and 89 are the same road 'til you enter the Feather River Canyon, about 10 or 12 miles past Quincy.
If you take 89 North, it will take you through Lassen State Park, then North to I-5 around McCloud. Watch for Burney Falls. Nice place for a pit stop.

Name:  RoadTrip-Fly-in035.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  86.9 KB

From Tahoe, North, is where I cut my teeth on mountain driving. I know all the roads!
Need anymore directions, let me know! There are some other nice roads up that way.

Old 11-22-2006, 04:42 PM

Dragon's Tail in North Carolina/Tenn. 318 corners in an 11 mile stretch!!! Talk about being curvey!

Quick Reply: Where is your favorite strech of Curves?