Go Back   Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site > Corvette Models > Corvette C4 Forum
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Old 05-08-2008, 05:20 PM

Default Few questions from 1st Time Vette Owner

Hi guys I am buying my first Corvette tomorrow (1995) 6-speed and I plan to keep it a long time. It's been a lifelong dream of mine to own one and the opportunity is finally here I'm so excited. I had a few questions I was hoping some of you might be able to answer for me.

1. The fibreglass top has a 3" hairline crack in one side. It needs repainting so I was wondering if I could get the body shop to fill it with resin and then paint it or fix it however they do and then paint it or if the crack is indicative of other issues?

2. How can I disable the passenger side airbag? Is it possible?

Thanks guys and I'm looking forward to hanging out and contributing on these forums as my knowledge grows. I'm very excited to become a part of the Corvette community.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:17 AM

Default RE: Few questions from 1st Time Vette Owner

1) The crack in the top is not uncommon. I don't know how they fix them. I am not a paint/body man.

2) I believe there is a fuse you can pull but I think that will disable both airbags. Other than that I don't think there is any way to disable the passenger side bag only.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Few questions from 1st Time Vette Owner

GM used to make a disarming switch kit for 88 - 97 cars. GM part number 12453830, about $128.00. You can also pull "airbag" fuse after you disconnect the battery for 15 minutes, but that will disable both air bags. If you decide to put fuse back in, follow same procedure on fuse.
1986 C4
1969 RS Z28 Camaro
1970 Chevelle SS 396 (under construction)
Old 05-09-2008, 11:06 AM

Tags
12453830, airbag, airbags, c6, corvette, crack, disable, disarm, fuse, gm, kit, number, part, seat, siade, switch, top