New Member Area Introduce yourself and your Corvette here.

First time Corvette owner with a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 03:14 PM
Default First time Corvette owner with a few questions

Hello all, I finally have realized my dream and purchased my first Corvette. I bought a 1998 C5 Coup yesterday. The car is beautiful and has 54000 miles on it.
My first question is this: Should I buy a warranty coverage program for my car? When I was buying the car from the Chevy dealership they were really pushing hard for me to buy a warranty program,they made it sound like there will be a lot of problems because I plan on using the car as a daily driver. They offered a bumper to bumper 4 year 48000 milewarranty for about $3,055.00 through a company named AUL Protection.
Second question: Is there anything that I should be looking at right now to make sure that the car is operating as well as it should be.
Thanks for any help or insight you can give me on what I can really expect with my new Corvette.

Old 12-24-2006, 06:07 PM
Default RE: First time Corvette owner with a few questions

I like extended warranties on cars. Funny though, I never buy them for anything else. Consider that the insurance companies are making a profit, and statistically, you will spend more on the warranty than the *average* repair costs. Then consider that when there are claims, the average repair costs are *very* large for covered repairs. Compare the cost of the warranty against a new trans, or engine failure. So if only one in 50 cars actually claims more than the cost of the warranty, odds are that car was up in the $7-10k cost to fix.

I have bought the extended warranties for my Navigator, and saved more than the cost of the warranty with just a broken shift lever and leaks in the air ride suspension lines. I bought it for my Expedition, and that made for a great selling point, and my sister has used it to claim a new trans. I've also bought it for my Jag, but didn't have any repairs at all on that one up to 100k miles.

Check with your insurance company, GEICO, and AAA to see if you can get a decent deal from a reliable company. Especially if you are relying on the Vette to be a "get your butt to work" car.

bill.

Old 12-24-2006, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to CF!
Car Salesmen , don't you dare buy that warrenty! Put the 3g's in the bank and add some bucks every once in a while. I think you'll find that it will be plenty, to last you over the next 4/48. I'm talkin' general maint. now, not mods.
Take care of your Vette, and you should not have any major repairs.
Sometimes mods will void a warrenty.
My opinion Dude, just my opinion.

Just like any other car, brakes, suspention, electrical, and gen. upkeep.

Old 12-24-2006, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator

Iagree Dave, I purchased one for a 4runner I had and when the water pump went out and caused the engine to instantly overheat and blow the head gaskets, the warranty company would not honor it and said that it had to be an internally oiled part that failed. what a crock. that was 1500 bucks pissed away. Keep your money and take care of your car cause they will find any way they can to get out of fessing up.

Old 12-24-2006, 11:59 PM

Thanks for the the responses guys. I agree that taking care of the normal maintenance items for the car will probably keep it running well for a long time. I was just not sure what I was getting into with the Vette and have spent most of the afternoon reading post on this site to see if there were common problems that would make the warranty as necessary as the dealer said. From everything I have read today, and your responses I am feeling much better about just taking care of this car and not worry about spending money that I will probably have to fight for if needed. Again thanks alot and I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas and a great New Year.

Dean

Old 12-25-2006, 02:33 AM

I never, ever, ever, ever buy the warranty.

Salesman: "This is the safest car on the road. Wanna take it home? It's a great car at a great price.It won't last long. If youchange the oil it'll last you forever.

2 minutes after agreeing to buy it: You want the warranty? Cars break down all the time. You'll be in here wishing you did and all it costs you is $3,000.

What he doesn't tell you is that he gets about half of thatwarranty money -- that's why they push it so hard.

Old 12-25-2006, 12:50 PM

I agree with the other posts...
I would definately buy an extended warranty for any used vehicle if it's offered.
I bought my truck used, and bought the 2 year extended warranty. 9 months later the transmission blew apart on a road trip.
With only $100.00 deductible the $2500.00 repair job was quite a bit easier to handle.

Old 12-25-2006, 12:51 PM

Congrats on that purchase by the way....
Sounds like a beautiful car.