Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

Help....What do I do

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 08:32 PM
Default Help....What do I do

Ok. I have a 1986 corvette. Its got the digital dash. Which I am working to repair to make it in new conditon. I have the automatic climbate control. Just bought a new box for that.Cheap too. I have a pioneer CD player. The one from Midamerica. You can turn on/off yoru sub woofers if you have them. Superbass/vocal ect......I have a optima red top battery and a new AC delco stock alternator......I am putting in a 6 1/2 speaker in EACH door. I am going to put a box with two twelve sub woofers in the back. He said to get a 400 wat amp**guy at the shop**. Will that amp be enough. Also, can I run the two back bose speakers along with the new speakers or do I rip them out and what do I do with the holes????? What size amp shoudl I get is 400 wats enough for my system. Also, will my optima battery and stock alternator WHICH BOTH ARE PRETTY NEW, be able to keep the car charged with all these electronics. That includes the a/c or heat running upgraded headlights and foglights upgraded back up lights and the system going all at one.....persay excusing the back up lights.....they wont be running much haha.......What shoudl I do. I need good honest help on this because I think the stereo shop just wants $$. Also I am having them install a "VIPER" keyless entry and alarm. It has that blue ledlight that blinks when its armed.Looks cool....Also it has the vats sytem BLAH.....Umm....I think that pretty much covers it all. Oh yea, im replacing all the interior lights so they will all be new along with the outside side markers and parking lights. I have to run a bigger fuse for the upgraded fog lights though. Thanks......

Old 04-03-2007, 02:42 AM
Default RE: Help....What do I do

Hmm... I'd like to know as well.... I have some dash repairs I need to make on my '87 Coupe.

Old 04-09-2007, 01:17 AM

Its funny you asked, Ive got a 99 convertable. And i just spent alot on the audio upgrade around two thousand watts....But when the stereo is turned up the lights dimm and the volts drop down under 12 and all hell breaks loose, Anyway I ordered a High output alternatorfrom a place called Ohio Generator, Over 200 amp and that is supose to do the trick. I have an extra battery, But the only way to go is called the big 3,1) alt. 2)alt. to battery wire 3)alt. ground......The alt is $500 bucks....I will keep you up to date after the install....

Old 04-09-2007, 01:21 AM

Name:  HPIM0672.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  97.7 KB

Old 04-09-2007, 01:24 AM

What kind of Amp? What kind of Subs?

Old 04-09-2007, 01:24 AM

What kind of Amp? What kind of Subs?

Old 04-09-2007, 01:33 AM

look into the kenwood DVD head units...Name:  HPIM0671.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  81.5 KB

Old 04-14-2007, 09:48 AM

You guys with the big sound systems will have to take the advice from the man at the audio store when it comes to watts necessary to drive your speakers. You can do the math when you need to figure out the charging system capability, total watts used with everything running devided by the system voltage = amps, for example- 5000 watts w/sound, lights,A/C, devided by 14.5 volts = 345 amps. You can add up the wattage of each item if known to come up with load your putting on the charging system.

Old 07-08-2007, 10:06 PM

I put a pioneer avic d3 in your car last week. you should replace the stock speakers with the new ones not use them both...I cant give you advice on amplifiers unless you provide subwoofer information...mainly make, model and RMS wattage. You see the stereo store is either trying to steer you in the right direction or trying to sell you some crap that they have in stock...what kind of amplifier was it? was it a brand name? or something you never heard of Your stock alternator should be fine as long as you dont go too big on the amplifiers...that is why if you want to do as little modification as possible I suggest getting a 5 channel amplifier. A simple way (not very acurate but close enough) to judge how many amps the amplifier is capable of drawing is to check the fuses on the amp. It should never exceed the fuse rating. In most cases if you keep it under 6 or 7 hundred watts you should get great sound and not have to worry about the draw too much.
good luck